Reality is Our True Nightmare

"Shin'ichi, will you marry me?" The question erupted laughter from the detective. A frown grows on the magician's face. His flushed cheeks deepen in color.

"I'm sorry," Shin'ichi stutters through his laughter. He inhales a breath and looks at Kaito.
"I'm serious. Do you know how hard it was to get the courage to ask you? I've spent weeks debating how to say it, and you just laugh."

"I'm sorry, just a little surprising. It isn't exactly legal here," Shin'ichi comments.

"I don't care if it is official in documents, just as long as it is with us." Shin'ichi stands up from his seat, and travels over to Kaito. He grabs the younger boy's hand and pulls him to his feet. Arms pull the magician into the detective's chest. "Yes," he lifts Kaito's chin, "I'll marry you," the words are barely audible against Kaito's mouth. Shin'ichi presses a soft kiss to the other boy's lips.

"How are you doing?" Ran questions, taking a seat at the table. Her hands grasp the warmth of the cup in front of her. Across the table, Shin'ichi slips into a chair. His hands rest upon the furniture in front of him. He becomes mesmerized by the emerald on his finger, lightly grazing it with his other hand. The girl reflecting him waits patiently for a response, but no words slip from the detective's mouth.

"Shin'ichi?" she says, hoping that maybe he just hadn't heard her. There is no answer from the teen. Instead he is focused on twirling the ring between his thumb and forefinger. Ran stares at the object that has captured Shin'ichi's attention. "I heard about what happened last night," Ran begins. She brings the cup to her lips, giving Shin'ichi time to reply, but he continues to be silent, not even glancing at the girl once. "I'm here for you, you know, if you want to talk about it, or if you need support, or whatever you need." The ring stops spinning in the detective's fingers. Ran drinks more of the tea, placed in front of her. She watches, curiously, as the boy across from her, changes through emotions. At first, he looks as if tears are threatening to trail down his face, then he blinks, his mouth becomes a firm frown, and he holds the face of disgust. The ring makes its way back to the ring finger, on his left hand. Ran finishes off the last of the tea in her cup. Her hands fall on top of the detective's. The warmth startles him, making him look up at his childhood friend. "Don't carry the weight all by yourself. I'm here for you," Ran repeats, before excusing herself from the Kudou household.

"Arsène Lupin, is that really what a great detective should be reading?" The sudden voice surprises the young detective causing him to whip around to look for the source. Peering over his shoulder is a boy practically identical to him. "Can't really help it, can you? He is quite a fascinating character," the boy adds.

"Fascinating? I wouldn't use that word, perhaps notorious. A thief is not worth being praised, regardless of the magnificence of the tricks he uses."

"Ah, but if he is able to be considered a rival of Holmes then he must be quite worthy." The other boy slips into the seat beside the detective.

"Worthy? You'll make yourself suspicious if you go around supporting thieves-"

"Not just any thieves, Kudou-San. I will have you aware that I do have standards. Now thieves that have enough respect to just steal what they are seeking, without causing harm to those around them, are worthy of my praise."

"I am deducting that you are a fan of Kaitou Kid's?" the detective closes the book in front of him and places all of his focus upon the other teen.