Changing the Future

It's been a long day, I laid my head on Nishijima's shoulder snuggling closer to him. He responded by wrapping his arm around my back resting it on my waist.

"Nishijima?" I asked

"Hmm?" He responded I looked up to him.

"What was it that made you fall for me?" He looked down his eyes meeting mine

"Where did that come from?" He asked I shrugged

"I don't know. I was just thinking. So many things wouldn't have happened if you didn't. I probably would have killed first without a second thought in my head. Instead I hesitated cause he had promises of bringing you back. Of course I didn't know then that it was complete bull shit and that the dead couldn't be brought back. I don't even know what I be doing right now if you didn't fall for me. So I was wondering what sealed the deal?"

Nishijima looked ahead at the blank TV "Well. A lot of things actually. How pretty you were being one of them."

I rolled my eyes. "You were a police officer and I was a terrorist you didn't care about my looks"

He chuckled "That's true. But... What got me to fall for you. Well... For the most part I always looked at things in the best way possible. I mean yeah, sometimes I couldn't save someone or I didn't catch the murderer or the thief the first time around but I kept going I didn't let it keep me down. Then I found you." He looked back to me and placed a hand on my cheek.

"A terrorist that could see into the future?" I asked he smiled and rolled his eyes.

"Not just that. Someone who could only look at the world in the darkest way possible, someone who only knew loss and tragedy. I could tell from the way you acted you didn't expect anyone to care about your well being, You expected to get through it alone... like you always had. When you got away from me the first time I figured I wouldn't see you again. But back then I could tell something was haunting you but I didn't look to much into it. I met you again and my first thought was that it was a inconvenience. With everything that was happening and I got to know you a bit more and realized more of what was bothering you and I realized that you needed someone in your life. It wasn't until a little bit later before I met you again that I realized I wanted to be that someone." He smiled a little brushing his fingers across my cheek.

"And when I realized that I decided that the only way I would take no as an answer is if you were in love with someone else. Even then I would still want to be in your life."

I linked my hand with his, "My story is probably a little more complicated. If you want to hear it."

He smiled resting his head on my own "Of course I want to hear it."

"Well. I realized I was in love with you. Once I watched you die. Before that. Once you proposed. I felt something but I pushed it away. Because I was so used to being alone I didn't know what having someone in my life would be like. I was scared of it."

"You were scared of not being alone? For most people its the other way around"

I laughed "Yeah. But being alone is all I knew. Then you proposed and I didn't know how to react. I went with my usual approach of pushing you away hoping you would back off"

"But you didn't see that I could tell that you would have said yes but you were afraid."

I nodded "I was afraid. Then you proved that you were in love with me countless times by helping me and saving my life. It wasn't until I watched you die to save my life then it really hit. Of course it was too late. But then I came here and ran into you and I thought I had another chance to tell you that I felt the same."

"And the rest is history." Nishijima said squeezing my hand lightly

"The rest is history." I repeated looking at our hands linked together.

"You know, I like to think that the world had a different plan for us but we changed the future by falling in love with each other."

I shrugged "Who knows. We might have."

I looked up to him his brown eyes staring into mine. He leaned down and placed a soft and sweet kiss on my lips I returned the kiss. I pulled back and smiled at him. He smiled back

"I love you, Minene"

"I love you too, Nishijima."

I laid my head on his shoulder and we just sat there enjoying the others company, we didn't need to say anything. Everything had already been said, After a little bit I noticed that Nishijima had fallen asleep I smiled and rolled my eyes I got up and picked him up carrying him down the hall and laying him on the bed and covering him up with the blanket. I placed a kiss on his forehead before crawling in next to him and falling asleep beside him.

A/N yay! A one-shot!

I am really proud of myself. Sorry the ending is kinda meh. I didn't have a specific way I wanted the ending to go. But I'm actually surprised I made it to almost 900 words. I didn't know if the ideas I had would get me that far. I was worried this would be a really short one shot. But I did it and I wrote all this right after I woke up! I'm surprised I don't have a headache cause I was also listening to music on full blast while writing this. But I liked it and I hope you did too!

~GeneralAnimeTrash