Hole in the rock ecoburica Costa Rica

One day I had to make some telephone calls.  Since there is no signal on the ecoburica site, one has to walk down the coast about 25 minutes to the local police detachment.  The police here are super co-operative and let us use their phone to make calls whenever we need.  So, I grabbed my “baston” (walking stick) and headed down the coast.  the walk involves mostly level beach so it’s a pleasant stroll for 90% of the way.  But, that 10% can be a killer!  There are boulders you have to cross for about 100 meters, and then the infamous hole in the rock.   You can get through this hole at the absolute low tide, and the water is about thigh high.  But, you have to time your run so that you don’t get caught by opposing waves.   My first time on the walk, I had no idea how deep the water would be, so I climbed up the rock face and down the other side.  Not recommended.  One slip and you fall and at the very least break several bones.  But I had some valuable gear with me and did not want to chance it getting wet.  So, got to the station, made my calls and started the trek back.  Which by the way passes some beach where the tides bring in an amazing plethora of sea shells.  We’ll take you there when you come to ecoburica.  So, I get to the hole and can’t discern when would be the best moment to run across.  I don’t see any sand, just a whack of sea water splashing and crashing into the rock face.  But, I know it can be done, my guys have done it, the police cross this way.  And, I don’t want to miss the low tide and see my opportunity slip away.  So, I pick my moment and crash into the water.  A wave comes exploding in from the other side and drenches me up to my waist.  But, I hang onto the rock face, wait for the surge to pass, and scamper around the rock to dry beach on the other side.   Made it!  What a rush!  Pura Vida!