Leave a Message

This was in my oneshot book but I thought I'd put it here too since this is where it truly belongs!

"Hi, you've reached Mitch Grassi. I can't come to the phone right now, I'm probably doing something that is way less exciting than talking to you. Leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible."

"Uh, hi. I see you've changed your voicemail since I last called... I mean, that's okay you're allowed to. I'd be surprised if you hadn't since we recorded it together and we don't talk anymore. I mean, we both talk still, we haven't suddenly gone mute. It'd explain why you haven't called me though, right?

I was joking, that was a joke. I'm sorry.

I don't even know why I'm calling. I guess I just wanted to hear your voice. I'm glad you didn't pick up though, then I would've had no idea at all what to say. I guess... I guess I just miss you. I keep going to put your passcode into my phone, which hurts I guess. Then there's that little buzz and the four dots on my phone shake at me, trying to wake me up and snap me back into the reality that you're gone. I was just thinking–"

"Hi, you've reached Mitch Grassi. I can't come to the phone right now, I'm probably doing something that is way less exciting than talking to you. Leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible."

"Sorry, the machine cut me off. I really should've taken the hint and not called back and I know that, but I just wanted to say I'm sorry that I miss you. I mean, I can't miss you that much since I see you all the time in everything I do. Especially my dreams. Whoa, okay I know that was weird. I mean, some of the dreams were weird too. There was this one where you were dressed as a– nevermind, the point is that I'm sorry I'm even calling you. And thank you too, I guess. I never got to say that.

Thanks for showing me how love feels. Thanks for showing me how loss feels too.

I just want to hold you like I used to. I know you're off doing better things. Doing better people too, I guess. – No, I know I shouldn't be laughing sorry that wasn't funny. I guess I'm just bitter. I just hope you're happy. I hope that one day you see everything in yourself that I see. I hope that one day you'll be as happy as you pretend to be."

"Hi, you've reached Mitch Grassi. I can't come to the phone right now, I'm probably doing something that is way less exciting than talking to you. Leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible."

"Why do they have time limits on those things? I didn't even get to tell you why I called in the first place. Why I'd really called.

You left your sweater at my house. Originally when I saw it I was ecstatic, I still had this part of you that I hadn't lost. I still had something that meant I didn't have to let you go. But it just hurts now. It's just there, taunting me. Reminding me of the fact that I lost you. The fact that you're not mine. It's not mine either and I guess you want it back. So yeah, call me back if you want it. I probably won't pick up but just leave a message. I want to hear your voice. For real this time, not some pre-recorded message that anyone in the world can hear. I'm probably going to run out of time again so yeah, I'll see you around.

Oh, and Mitch? I lo–"

"Um, hey. It's Scott. Leave a message I guess? Sorry, I haven't done this in a while I don't know what to say... I'll get back to you soon. Yeah."

"Hey Scott. Thanks for those messages, it's great to hear from you again... I hope you're doing well–"

"Mitch! Baby come back to bed, what are you doing?"

"– Uh, yeah. Thanks. I, um, I'm a little busy at the moment. Leave it with Kirstie and I'll get it from her next time I see her. Or, y'know... Keep it.

I miss you too. I miss having you and Wyatt and having my best friend. I'm sorry I left. You don't understand it now but you will one day. I hope you have a good life with someone really special Scott.

Scott? I still lo–"