WE DON'T TALK ANYMORE...

30th April, 2017...

@ GREAT WALL OF CHINA...

As I stared at the darkening sky, I realised that this was probably the closest I have ever been to you in a very long time, both emotionally and physically. I shut my eyes and tilted my head backwards, to face the now starry sky, as a flood of childhood memories overwhelmed me.

1st February, 2008

@ Home, Kentucky...

My five year old self sat by the window telling you about my day. You never said a word. I begged you to come closer to me. You stayed where you were. I asked you why I had no friend besides you. You kept quiet.

7th MARCH, 2008

@ HOME, NEW DELHI...

I had been so scared that I would never get to see you again.Mommy had told me that you would be there as well. I hadn't believed her. I had been crying copiously in my old room and had to be literally dragged into the car. I was so relieved to see you there, in Delhi. (Though how you got there was beyond me.) Everything was so new and different there. At least you, my dear, were the same.

12th May, 2010

@HOME, NEW DELHI...

We had to write an essay that day, an essay on a friend. I wrote about you. The teacher had been extremely dissappointed. She said that I had not comprehended the topic. I don't know why. It had been a fairly simple composition, written straight from the heart.

14th October, 2012

@HOME, NEW DELHI...

I had so many tests that week. I began to measure a year by the number of tests I would have to write. 365 days seem to suddenly take forever. I had been preparing for these tests by staying up late at night. At times I would be so exhausted that I would have no energy left to talk to you.

In school I learnt why you could be seen everywhere. I felt like an idiot for having cried like a baby while shifting from Kentucky to Delhi.

I had then scribbled a letter on a page torn from my homework exercise book. I had placed it on my window sill that night. Next morning it had disappeared.

SOMETIME IN BETWEEN 14TH OCTOBER, 2012 AND 30TH APRIL, 2017...

I realised that you would never reply. I got burdened with work. Our regular talks got neglected. They became secondary. They slowly slipped to the back of my mind. On 19th July, 2013, for the first time, I fell asleep without even a single glance towards you.

30TH APRIL, 2017...

@THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA

My hands clenched into fists as I let out a long, deep, shuddering breath. The emotions that had been bottled up for four years, were finally released.

The letter ¬-

Dear Moon,

I don't understand one thing. I tell you all my secrets, but you never tell me anything. Everything I know about you is from someone else or from books. You are always there for me, but at times I need someone to talk to me. It would be lovely if you actually sent me signs of any sort if you can't speak. I know that you are a heavenly body. That means you must be having some sort of magical power. Please use it and get back to me.

Love,

Tara

______________________________________________________________________

THE END