Death Dreamer

Penelope Chavez woke up in her bedroom feeling a bit strange. She didn't remember going to bed last night, or even coming home. Her usual bed-head was non-existent as her hair easily slicked into place with one comb through her fingers as she stood up. Her alarm clock flashed the bright red numbers, 5:44PM. It was that late already? Penelope ran down the stairs of her house and into the kitchen where she heard her mother putting away groceries and humming to herself. "Hey mom," Penelope called to her, staring with slight jealousy at her mother's olive skin. "Hello! Mary Ella... Mom!"

As Penelope's mother turned around; curly black hair wisping into her face, Penelope grew worried as her mother seemed to be ignoring all her cries. It was like she was non-existent based on the blank expression on her mother's face. The slam of the front door traveled into the kitchen. "Dad! There's something wrong with mom!" Penelope called out to him through the cutout window. Much to her delight, he started heading towards the kitchen, only to crush her hopes when he ignored her also.

"The stove is not working," Mary Ella said. She had a pot on the gas burner stove filled with water as she tried turning the knob again and again. Penelope's father walked over to the stove and tried turning it on himself.

"What are you trying to make?" he asked Mary Ella, looking at the mess of grocery bags on the counter, ruffling through some drawers.

"A nice lunch for Penelope when she comes home tomorrow." her mother responded. "Now can you please turn the stove on?"

Penelope's thoughts became frantic as she panicked. Why couldn't her parents hear her, or see her? Didn't they know she was already here? Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of someone lighting a match. She watched intently as her father placed the match near the gas. Bright flames erupted from stove and engulfed the room.

"No!" the yell ripped from Penelope's throat. She shot out of bed, awaking from the horrible dream. She glanced around to find herself safe in her dorm room with a very grumpy roommate.

"Shut up," a bright orange pillow flew at Penelope. "You're gonna wake everyone up."

"Sorry." Penelope whispered. She could only make out the blonde hair in the tussle of blankets in the other bed, but she heard the soft snores and knew her roommate was already back to sleep. She tried falling back asleep herself, only to toss and turn and remember the flames in her father's green eyes that reflected her own. Her dream just felt so real.

Finally giving up, she rolled out of bed and slipped on a pair of jeans and a black tank top. After quickly putting on her sneakers, she slipped out the door quietly. The hallway looked different completely devoid of students. The carpet that was usually a deep blue looked brighter at night. Penelope guessed that she might be the only one with sleeping problems as the dorms were quiet, interpreted briefly by a couple snores behind closed doors. She gasped as she was pulled into one of the dorm rooms. A warm hand covered her mouth. Sudden panic kicked in as she struggled against their body weight.

"Shh... shh... stay quiet." A guy's voice whispered. The voice was recognized as one of her classmates. She remembered his name was Gabriel. With her back pressed against the wooden door, she tried to speak. Gabriel put a finger to his lips and shook his head. The quietness allowed her to hear footsteps going down the same hall she was in a second ago. A door creaked open and shut; there were no more footsteps. "Night patrols roam the halls to make sure we are all in our rooms." Gabriel explained, letting her go.

"I couldn't sleep. I didn't know we weren't allowed in the halls at night," She explained herself.

"For a dreamer, you don't sleep much." He moved away from Penelope. Being able to finally see his room, she realized that his was set up for only one person. "You can stay here for the night. You don't want to risk getting caught." He offered her a blanket and the small sofa to sleep.