Chapter 24: Memories

~ After the last day of school ~

Her head was against my shoulder, her eyes fluttering open and shut, open and shut. I just found her amusing to watch, which made it difficult to take my eyes off of her. She was a gorgeous angel in my eyes. She was perfect.

She was my everything.

Riley's head fell down to my lap. I could hear her quiet snores as she slept gracefully. I ran my fingers through her soft hair, which smelled like fresh strawberries.

Everyone else in the ninth grade was at Topanga's, hanging out and talking about memories that happened this year. Riley and I weren't in my mood for that, though. Therefore, we stayed in her room, on the ground.

A lot changed in the year. In the beginning of the year, Lucas and I were best friends. He had a huge crush on Riley, and I didn't even know her yet. Now, in the end of the year, Lucas and I aren't friends anymore. He's not with Riley anymore, and now I know her. We went from strangers to misunderstood lovers. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Some days, I miss Lucas. He was my best friend since we were little. He knew how bad of a mom I had, and he was always there for me. But, sometimes, the people you are closest to can be the ones that break you. Maybe Lucas and I aren't meant to be friends anymore. Maybe that's what the universe wanted for us.

Then, the whole Farkle thing exploded in my face. A guy who broke my heart, earned my trust again, and lastly broke my heart again. He's a liar. He's a freaking liar. He's definitely not someone I want to friends with. Not ever again.

"Never leave me, ok?" Riley muttered, her eyes fluttering open for a second. I nodded, grasping her hand slightly. I would never leave her. Riley was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. We've been through everything together. You can't just forget about the person who basically took on the world with you.

"Whatever you want, honey," I replied, leaning my head against her bed. Riley's face turned serious, as if she just left Rileytown. "You always say that. 'Whatever you want.' What about what you want, Maya? Do you want to stay with me? Forever?" She said, sitting up.

I gave her a look that said, "Really?" Riley meant everything to me. Before I met her, I had no purpose in life. I just wanted to stay in my lonely room for good, with no one there for me. But, Riley....She made my life have a purpose again. Riley made me complete. Why would I ever want her to leave? It would be selfish of me to think that.

"Of course I want to be with you forever. I love you," I said quietly. Riley smiled, her smile brightening up the room an octave. She laid back down on my lap, her eyes fluttering shut once again.

There are two different definitions of the word "Alone." The first one is that you can be alone, but you know someone is going to come back to you. Or, you can be alone and know that no one is going to come back. I knew my dad was never going to come back after he left the way he did. The anger in his eyes, the way he showed he didn't care....he was gone for good.

I was alone back then, with a mother who was too busy mourning over a husband who would never come back to her. To us. I was alone when Mom would leave for long hours and not come back until the evening of the next day.

With Riley, though....I can be alone but I know she will come back. She was the one that never left. Dad left. Mom left. Farkle left. Even Lucas left. After everything we been through, he left. Riley will never leave. She will always find a way back to me, and I know that is one of the things in this world that will never change.