Chapter I: Entering Womanhood

"She seems like a nice girl," remarked Mrs. Langley, after Mrs. Burke had introduced her to Crystal Burns at the Burkes' barbecue, "And of course her family are quite respectable people; Mr. Burns being in the cotton business and all. Her mother was quite a belle when she was young, just like Miss Burns's younger sister, Alice. But Crystal is pretty. But--doesn't there seem to be a certain eeriness about her? Usually when I look at a girl of sixteen they seem rather light-hearted and gay, as if they had not a care in the world. But Crystal... she seemed so deep and serious... almost foreboding! My, her eyes seem so filled with secrets and thoughts... It doesn't feel right. It is rather attractive, though. Well, maybe it is just an act. But... anyways, what did you think of Mrs. Park's tea party?"

This sent the two ladies chattering on and on about Mrs. Park's tea party, its refinements and small delicacies. Yes, they had quite as little cares as girls of sixteen themselves, if I do have a say in the matter.

Crystal herself had just gotten herself out of a very embarrassing introduction to a certain Mrs. Langley, a friend of Mrs. Burke's: a of course she had to introduce herself, since Mrs. Burke was a friend of mother's. But the old woman did not seem very keen to Crystal's embarrassment, as she had prattled on and on about Alice's beauty, and how Crystal was pretty but rather lacked her sister's elegance and grace. Alice was more beautiful than she, and Crystal knew it, but (as it always happens in such a situation), did not like to be reminded of it. Mrs. Langley had also prattled about 'those darkies and their freedom notions'. Though it had not bothered Crystal when she was young, she now wondered why everyone thought it was wrong for the darkies to want to be free. If she were a darkie, she'd want to be free, too. When she'd asked mother this, Mrs. Burns had responded, "Dear, the darkies aren't like us. They are easily influenced, and have a hard time standing by what they have been taught. They don't really want freedom... it's just those Yankees that have gotten it into their heads. We must just reteach them, is all. Then they will not think of freedom any longer." Crystal wasn't quite sure she believed that.

"Miss Burns!" she heard someone call. She turned around, and saw Benjamin Anderson standing in front of her, his red hair standing up like that of a rooster. He smiled at her, and she smiled back.

Benjamin Anderson was twenty-two years old, and his father owned a big cotton plantation a few miles from Mr. Burns's. Crystal knew her father wanted her to marry Benjamin, since his family was rich and when Mr. Anderson passed away Benjamin would inherit the estate. Mr. Burns didn't understand why Crystal complained about him pushing her to marry Benjamin. The lad was good-looking, kind, smart and rich. And, he wasn't that much older than Crystal either.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Anderson," she replied, curtsying.

Benjamin bent down and kissed her gloved hand, his lips warm on her soft skin.

"Good afternoon to you as well, Miss Burns," he replied, trying his best to give her a dashing smile, "May we take a stroll around the gardens? I hear Mr. Burke has added a new marble statue to his collection."

"That would be quite nice, Mr. Anderson," said Crystal, taking Benjamin's arm, "Only I believe us ladies must go down for our nap in a little while."

"No matter," said Mr. Anderson, "I won't take very long."

They exited by the Burkes's patio door, and walked together amongst the small trees, fountains and statues of which Mr. Burke was so very proud. After a minute of silence, Benjamin spoke.

"I am going to Atlanta in the spring," he said, "Going for quite a long time. My father wants me to sell our cotton overseas, and Atlanta, the bustling city it is, is the place to do that. Between now and the spring, I have been assigned with the task of finding myself a wife."