Ch.1~ (Freya's POV)

"There's a path running under the city. Where the stones and the hills divide. There's a path we can walk through; the lost and the pity.

There's a girl sleeping under the river. Where the snow and the rain collide. There's a girl that we watch and we'll soon be with her." ~ The Birthday Massacre

I swung the front door open to my quaint, brick home that was unevenly placed on the side of a hill. Flakes of snow dotted my hair and clumped on my long black lashes as I shut the door closed with my hip.

I took a step into my den heated by a crackling fire that snapped and popped. My biology and math books were balanced in my hands and I tripped over a crease in our floral print rug, causing me to falter and my books to fall from my hands.

"Damn." I cursed under my breath. I kicked my math book out of my way and dropped my backpack in front of the door. Today was colder then it had been for the past few weeks. Ice glazed the sidewalks and snow swirled in the wind that whispered through the trees. I was happy to be home and out of the bone-chilling weather.

I shrugged out of my black bomber jacket and kicked off my combat boots.

"Freya?"

I snapped my head to the side and saw my father's pale face peering into the doorway. His deep brown hair was unkept and ragged. His eyes were tinted red and the dark circles under his eyes looked deeper then normal.

"Hey dad." I greeted him awkwardly. I watched as he stumbled up to me, tripping over his feet. He walked past me, plopped into the dull grey lounge chair that was placed in the corner of the room, and stared at me silently.

"Did you just wake up?" I asked as i knelt down onto one knee and stacked my books on top of one another. my father stretched, raising his hands high above his head as if he were reaching for the yellow-hued light above.

"Yeah. Mom's at work so it's just you and me today." He hiccuped. I hadn't spent a day alone with my dad in, I don't know how long. Ever since he started doing drugs and drinking more heavily, I frankly didn't want to be alone with him. It's sad, I know. But my father isn't my father when he's high, and I could tell he was right now.

"I'm gonna go to my room now." I said as I climbed onto my feet.

"Wait!" my dad shouted, causing me to jump.

"Y-yes?" I stuttered. He slid off the couch and approached me. He came so close that I could smell the alcohol on his breath. His pupils were dialated and he had a crazed grin played in his thin lips. He lifted his hand and grazed the back of his palm against my flushed red cheek.

"Your so beautiful just like your mother when she was young," He sighed," You have her big blue eyes and her smooth pink lips."

I blinked at him and forced a smile onto my lips.

"Thanks." I said shyly as I looked down at my feet. my dad leaned into my and wrapped an arm around my waist. I looked at him in horror as he pressed his lips onto my neck and pet my hair. I attempted to push him off me and he twisted my arm.

"Don't do that." He growled. I began to tremble as he groped my butt.

"Dad, your scaring me." I whimpered.

"Shhhh, it's okay." He hushed me. "your my sweet little girl. I'll never hurt you."

"Your hurting me now." I said. My dad paused and pulled away from me. His eyes were filled with pure evil.

"I want to go to my room. Please." I begged.

Dad placed a hand on his hip and furrowed his brows.

"Don't play that fucking card with me Freya. Don't you dare play that card with me." He snapped. I backed towards the doorway.

"What are you talking about?" I demanded. "I haven't done anything wrong."

My dad narrowed his eyes at me and I swallowed hard.

"Look, I'm sorry, okay? Can I go upstairs please?" I questioned.

Dad rolled his eyes and smiled sheepishly.

"Go." He instructed. i nodded and walked out of the den. As soon as I entered the hall, I looked over my shoulder and ran.

(A/N: Hey! sorry for the triggering content in this chapter. There isn't much of this type of content in this book so bare with me, I just want to get to the base of each character's personality through their life experiences. Anyway, question time! What do you think caused Freya's father to start using? Trauma? An escape? To forget about past mistakes? Comment here!)