Chapter One

Joanne Rowling walked briskly towards Professor Dumbledore's office, the light of the midnight moon shining across the floor. With Jeslyn perched on her black and red robes, she walked, nervous, her stomach twisting. Jo walked around cautiously, looking out for Argus Filch, the caretaker. He is very notorious in Hogwarts for his detention methods; those included hanging people up by their toes and whipping them, but at least that was in the medieval days.

Jeslyn, her snowy owl, cooed on her shoulder and nibbled at her blonde locks. Jo gave Jeslyn a quick treat from her pocket on her robes.

"Thanks, Jes." she whispered. "But not now."

The girl and her owl walked quickly up the grand moving stairways of Hogwarts, dodging portraits and trying their hardest to navigate the complex halls without a Lumos charm. Hearing the sound of footsteps, Jo pressed herself flat against the wall, holding her breath and willing Jeslyn to stay quiet.

"Now, Pads, be careful, just one more corridor and we're done with the castle." a voice said. Jo recognized it as the voice of James Potter, one of the Marauders that are with her in Gryffindor. Jo usually kept to herself, but sometimes she hung out with the boys.

"Yes, I know, Prongs." another voice huffed. It was Sirius Black, the tallest and the most popular with the ladies out of the boys. Jo liked him, but only as a friend. She couldn't imagine being 'more-than-friends' with Sirius.

"Guys, I think that we should hurry up, you know." a voice squeaked. "Remember what happened last time with Filch?"

"Yes, we remember, Wormtail. I've been trying to get them to hurry it for the past hour!" hissed another voice, whom Jo recognized as Remus Lupin, who was the bookish rebel in the Marauders.

Jo slinked past the boys, hoping to get away unnoticed, but at that time, Jeslyn happened to hoot. The four turned around, glaring at Jo.

"Jo!" James glared. "What are you doing here?"

"On my way to Dumbledore's office."

"Dumbledore?" Sirius asked. "Why would he want you at this time?"

"I don't know, and it's none of your business." Jo replied curtly. "I'd better be off before Filch arrives."

Jo walked off towards Dumbledore's office, her hands clasped but her fingers clenching and unclenching as she walked. She came across the winged gargoyle that Dumbledore told her to find and whispered the password that Dumbledore had told her to say to the gargoyle yesterday.

"Fizzing Whizbee." she whispered, and the gargoyle slid open silently, revealing a tall spiralling staircase.

Jo walked up to the top and knocked on the wooden door at the top three times.

"Come in." a voice said from inside. Jo pushed the door open and marvelled at all the wonders of Dumbledore's office set out in front of her.

There were spinning little instruments hanging from the ceiling, glinting silver in the lamplight. Shelves filled with books lined the room with a ornate golden case, tucked away in a corner. Dumbledore was sitting on his chair, munching away on a few licorice snaps. Fawkes the phoenix was perched contentedly on his golden perch.

"Ah, Joanne." Dumbledore smiled, pushing up his half-moon spectacles. "How wonderful that you come to see me in such short notice. How was the first week?"

"It was really exhausting, Professor." Jo smiled. "Especially with the Transfiguration N.E.W.T. coming up."

"Good, good." Dumbledore gestured to the chair opposite his on the other side of the desk. "Have a seat."