Chapter 1 - The Deceit

Eyes locked straight ahead he barely breathed as he walked at a nervous but steady pace through the clatter and din of metallic clicks, whirs, groans and cheers of the casino's main gaming room. Brilliant colours, flashing lights, the noise of excited chatter, none of it registered as he focused on his goal.

Reaching the lobby doors he paused and made an anxious peripheral scan before taking a much-needed deep breath, then stepped outside through the outer doors, past the salutation of the smiling doorman, and straight to the taxi rank. The driver started his meter and pulled out into the stream of traffic lining the glitzy street of dreams, both broken and realized.

"Where to?"

"Bus terminal."

The man held the old-fashioned briefcase tight to his chest, his hands trembling as they gripped the oversized lunch box design of his prize. Horns blared, bass thudded from the open windows of passing cars, but his eyes remained straight ahead, a bead of perspiration on his lip licked away nervously.

The taxi made a turn and the traffic thinned to a stream of vans and delivery vehicles, denizens of the backstreets of the city. The bus terminal loomed as a grey concrete edifice with a vertical sign that flashed its purpose like those on the casinos, and the vehicle slid easily into a slot reserved for taxis.

He struggled out of the cab and handed the driver enough for the fare along with a handsome tip then hurried inside. His part of the plan had been sketchy after the initial stage was completed, and in truth, he wasn't sure he would have made it this far. Planning further seemed way too optimistic . . . now he had an important decision to make.

He stood examining the departures board - a cheap bus was scheduled to leave shortly for the destination agreed upon. How the others were travelling was not discussed, but he felt this was the least obvious or risky.

The first casual meeting, the easy conversation and acceptance of shared company, gradually permitted the disclosure of more personal topics, and the scheme, presented with such confidence, appeared not only as a financial benefit, but as a satisfactory solution to his domestic plight. He had finally agreed to take the risk, and now, having done the deed, he was tasked with completing his role in the plan.

Clutching the briefcase close, he zeroed in on the bus departure headed for Salt Lake City within the hour. At the ticket counter a one way trip was purchased, and while he waited, he bought some coffee and a soon-to-be stale sandwich from the line of vending machines. For a dollar and a pull of the lever they also offered a chance at financial freedom; he didn't need to waste a dollar, his case held many thousands of them.

Everything had gone exactly as planned, and he remained astonished by the initial idea and his own daring. Edwin Del Darrigo was a fifty-three-year-old Mexican accountant, married to a thirty-seven-year-old shrew interested solely in his ability to provide for her every whim, and the main reason for his rash entry into the world of white collar crime.

When the bus arrived he lined up to board along with a few other travellers, choosing a seat right at the back where no one could sit behind him. With his case tucked safely between his body and the side of the bus, Edwin ate his sandwich, drank his second coffee and closed his eyes to sleep . . . and dream.

*****

King Braddock listened to his manager's report, his expression growing darker and the frown increasing to a point where his face began to resemble a Chinese Shar-Pei. The manager could barely keep the quaver from his voice as he confessed that one of the money room accountants had removed, unnoticed, a considerable sum of money from the room, and also gained egress from the casino without being spotted.