40

Ever since I was little, my mother would always say 'Don't you ever go into my lab.' She was always in there 24/7. It's like she basically lived there. My mother was crazy about her experiments. She hardly ever payed attention to me. I don't think she even loved me.
I would always be bullied at school. Sometimes, even the teachers would join in with the students. My mother would never care. She only cared about her work. Hardly anyone cared about me. One day, a transfer student came to our school. She was the complete opposite of me. Cute, tall, funny, and popular. She came up to me, and I was ready for her to bully me like everyone else does, but she didn't. She asked if I wanted to be her friend. I thought that this was some sort of prank or dare, but she was serious. I asked for her name.
"My names Melody, what's yours?"

"It's Darcy."

"That's such a lovely name!"

Melody soon became my best friend, and people started to bully me less and less. I soon actually became popular, but Melody was still my best friend. That was never going to change. I asked Melody if she would like to come over. She agreed without giving it a single thought. We continued with our classes, chatting away like she would go missing the next day.