Born

Albany, New York
September 19th, 1758

I came into this world crying, like most people do. I wasn't anything special, except maybe the fact that I lived. These days, many children don't live the adulthood and I guess by some miracle I was not one of them.

My parents knew what to do, since they had practice with my other siblings. I was just another check off the to do list, I think. They already had multiple children and another one was just another mouth to feed, another body to clothe, another brain to teach.

Since the moment I was born I wanted nothing but to please my parents. I was a good child, quiet, obeying, and respectful. I kept to myself mainly, unlike my sister Angelica who was so incredibly smart and witty. I am pretty enough I think, but not so beautiful as to make me stop in their tracks, like Eliza. More or less I was the simple daisy in a field of perfect roses. It was very easy to push my aside by the rest of my family. I mean I can't blame them. Who would want a rock when they could have diamonds?

Despite this feeling of unworthiness, I couldn't help but want more, crave the attention and pride everyone had for my sisters. It would take time but one day I would make them proud, at least I hoped.