Oh, What Fun This Will Be

Okay, but seriously, losing weight doesn't have to suck

Okay, but seriously, losing weight doesn't have to suck. What if we looked at it this way: we're not losing weight, necessarily, we're replacing it with muscle. I think that is the first rule of getting 'fit': if you set off to lose, say, thirty pounds by the end of next month, and you work your big-ole-bum off to get to that goal by lifting weights, or something, you are not going to lose thirty pounds. You are going to lose weight- but you are also going to be gaining it. So if you step on that scale, prepared to see a difference there that you KNOW you see in the mirror... you're probably going to be disappointed.

And why is that?

I mean, muscle isn't any heavier than fat- a pound is a pound. But muscle is a considerable amount denser than fat, and therefore takes up much less space. Therefore, I will be going scale-less for the next two or so months. I think scales can influence your outlook on yourself, whether that be when you're looking in the mirror, or looking at a selfie you took.

Just, ugh. You weigh what you weigh. You look like what you look like. Those things? They aren't as related as you think.

Be that as it may, feel free to weigh yourself as often as you'd like. That is your business.

So, why am I choosing to better myself?

I want to feel good. I don't want to be fatigued all the time. I want to be happy. I want to look good.

(Que gasp)

I think people often like to say that getting fit isn't supposed to be about looking good. And in many ways, I agree with that.

But you know what?

If that is your reason, don't you DARE feel guilty about it. What matters is how you accomplish that. Be healthy about it. Don't compare yourself to others. And please, Jesus, don't even consider comparing yourself to me. I have a good metabolism, but I abuse it quite a bit (Yes, people with good metabolisms can still be fat.) So if I happen to lose weight quickly, or slowly, or in between, don't strive for that. In all likelihood, not all of us are going to have the same results in the same time span.

And that is completely okay.

You are doing this for YOU. No one else. Enjoy it as best you can.

See you tomorrow, when we will begin. ;)