Prologue

I smiled at my brother, soothing him into bed.
"Now, go to sleep Tom." I struggled coming up with a phrase to coax him to sleep. Yet none were needed, he was out cold. I just hope he doesn't tell mum I kept him up until two... Hopefully if this all works out, it would be worth the telling off. I grinned as he started to snore softly, tip toeing out the room. After lightly closing the door, I bounded down the stairs.

Once I got into the living room, I practically leaped to the closed curtains. I peeked out the window. Nothing. I scoffed, obviously my sister wouldn't be here; she went out to a party and left me on my own to look after my little brother. The bitch, I closed the curtain. She probably won't be back at all tonight. Most likely staying over at some boys house; it would be all right if it was at least her boyfriends house. The slag.

I flicked off the light switches. I set some scented candles on the floor in little groups of three or four before lighting them all. "Scary, scary, scary" I murmured.

I sat down cross legged in front of the board. I breathed deeply, I'm finally doing it. I rubbed my hands in oil chanting the words I memorised from Reddit the user 'AntiSocialSquare28' who claimed this method worked.

Suddenly, two cold hands clasped onto my shoulders.
"Boo." The icy voice breathed on my neck.
I screamed and hit the attacker before rolling away. I whipped my head around to see my attacker. My older sister, Rose, stood in front of the board, pissing herself. I scowled. The bitch. I grabbed a cushion and chucked it at her. "You prick." She laughed cruelly at me and threw it back, hitting a candle. Shit! I leapt to my feet and stamped on the candle.

"Mum's going to kill you for that." She grinned. I looked down at the wax melting into the expensive carpet. Dammit, she was right.

"She won't believe you, as least once I will tell her about coming back from a party at three am, and that you slept with someone."

Rose gasped before narrowing her eyes.
"How did you know?"

I laughed. "Your t-shirt is on backwards and inside out."

"I- uh, but maybe I, uh... Whatever. Why are you even still up Elliot?" She accused.

I rolled my eyes, I knew I won this fight. "I'm trying to summon a ghost."

She scoffed "Why?"

I sat down cross legged on one side while she stood up. "I dunno, paranormal stuff I guess"

"Elliot. That stuff is bull."

I rubbed my hands again in oil. "Then go upstairs and let me do it."

She shuffled her feet around. "I'll do it with you, to make sure you're safe. Not like I care, just so Mum doesn't kill me". She rushed, sitting on the opposite side of the board. She glanced at my hands "You don't have to do that, you can just put your fingers on and call up on a ghost."

"Oh" I whispered, my hands dropping to my sides, before we put our fingers on the board.

She nodded at me "Go on, ask a question"

"Uh, is anyone there...?"

The dial didn't move. Rose rolled her eyes "I told you this is bull" she yawned "I'm going to bed."

"Wait!" She hesitated "The dials moving" I whispered.

'Y'
...
'E'
It pointed out after a while, hovering over the letter. Rose laughed. "Ye? Are we dealing with a chavvy ghost? I have enough chavs at school" she laughed.
I shushed her "It's not finished"
'S'
"It's still the same answer" she muttered.
I gulped. It said it was there, Rose was bravely staring down at the board, but I felt more like shitting myself.
"Elliot" Rose whispered "Ask another question to this so called 'ghost'"
I nodded "What's... What's your name?"
We waited patiently, this time we didn't interrupt.
'D'
'A'
'R'
'K'
'N'
'E'
'S'
'S'
Rose laughed "Well hello Darkness. Would you like to come out to play?" I mentally cursed, of course she had to ask that, of all things, as well as making fun of a dead soul!
But to my surprise, 'Darkness' replied
...
'C'
'A'
'N'
'D'
'L'
'E'
Rose leapt to her feet. "I'll get the matches, you get the candles"

I rolled my eyes as her. "The ghost is called Darkness. I think he, she, meant put the candles out?' I chuckled nervously.

"Oh right" she muttered blowing out the candles until it was pitch black. A small dim screen flickered on in the darkness, illuminating Roses faces. She grimaced at me. "My phone's low battery so this better be worth it."

I rolled my eyes. "Come on, we can play the game." Rose obliged and sat across from me. "What game shall we play?" I asked the board.
'M'
'Y'
...
'G'
'A'
'M'
'E'
Rose chuckled nervously "Wow, descriptive"
I glared at her in the dim lighting, she shut up.
"How do we play?" I asked the board. Rose glared at me. "What? It'll be fun" she rolled her eyes in the dim lighting.
'S'
'T'
'A
'N'
'D'
Rose stood up. "Get up you wimp" she hissed. I shook my head, to be perfectly honest I was scared.
'U'
'2'
The board the spelled out. I signed and stood up, leaving the Ouija board unattended.
Rose dropped her phone into the oil "Oh for fucks sake". The light clicked off. "Ew..." She as she put her hand in to retrieve her broken phone from the oil. "You owe me big time Elliot." She muttered.

Silence.

"For gods sake Elliot, I'm fed up with your games." Rose fumbled her way across the room before tripping over a warm soft lump. "Dam it" she hissed before walking into the wall and stringing out a line of curses. Finally she found the switch. Lights shine into her eyes, blinding her temporarily. As her vision cleared she saw Elliot lying straight on the floor, hands by his sides, eyes closed and chest moving rapidly. Rose rolled her eyes. "Come on Elliot. Get up." She walked over and knelt by his body. "Elliot...?"

Suddenly he sat upright, eyes still closed, hands still by his sides and his chest still moving rapidly. He opened his eyes. They were black. Rose fell back. "Elliot?! Elliot!" She sobbed shuffling back away from the body.

Elliot's head turned slowly to face Rose. He blinked slowly before lifting his hand up clenching his fist, watching it clench and unclench. He smiled at Rose.

"Hello Darkness" a low rumble sounded from Elliot like an earthquake. Rose slowly rose to her feet, ready to run. Elliot opened his mouth. A black fog exited his mouth. The black was nothing Rose had ever seen, it was an empty void seeming to consume light. It held no form just swirled towards Rose at an alarming rate, Rose tried to run. But the void caught up. It first seeped into her nostrils, then her ears. The pain was unbearable. It felt like tiny little knives were pushed into her and twisted wherever the darkness touched. And unlucky for her, it was consuming her. Rose opened her mouth to scream but the darkness just saw that as another way to get in. The little knives twisted and stabbed all the way down her throat and every where it touched inside her. No matter how much she screamed, it was silent. The darkness ate up her pain, relishing in it. Rose sobbed silently but the darkness just stabbed in through her tear ducts. Roses body reacted in any way it could to fend off the darkness. But it didn't know how. She got goosebumps. The darkness then entered through her pores. Her teeth chattered. The darkness still filed into her.
Before the darkness slowly ended her tortured life.

--------

She awoke to find herself lay down next to her brother. She sat up, opened her eyes. They were black.
"Hello Darkness" she said evenly before collapsing next to her brother. Both in the same pose. Eyes closed. Hands next to their sides. She opened her mouth. The darkness crept out.

The little boy, who was awoken from nightmares tip tied down the stairs. "Elliot?" He cried. The darkness crept towards its new prey.

Authors note:
Yes. It's supposed to be this short. It's a prologue. Yay. Word count: 1404 words. That's alright for a prologue. And yes, the point of view was all messed up at the end. It is intentional. I know it doesn't make sense at the minute it's not supposed to, so no hate. Anyways. Have fun, vote, comment and share! 🔮👻