Look away, Sam

Dean looked down at the extreme blood loss, spouting from the open wound. Sam stabbed the monster in the eyes and it crumbled to the floor, letting out an ungodly wail. Sam didn't have a moment to feel victory against the creature. "Dean!" He shouted, running to the far wall where Dean lay.

Dying.

Sam fell to his knees by his brother. "Dean, oh my god!" Sam cursed as he quickly pulled out bandages. "Dean, it's going to be okay, I'll- we'll-" Sam stuttered over his words, unable to hold back the tears forming in his eyes. Dan got a good slash to the chest, and it was obviously infected. Dean coughed weakly, blood dripping from his mouth. "Sam." He said. "I am going to die."

Sam wiped his tears quickly, trying to clean and bandage the wound. "No." Sam said, shaking his head quickly. "No no no, Dean, you- you can't die. I can't... You know I can't do this alone." Sam said, his voice full of sorrow. "Sam..." Dean's voice came again, catching Sam's attention to look his brother in the eyes. Dean's voice was barely above a whisper. "Sammy, we've battled demons and angels together. If anyone can do it, it's you." Sam still shook his head. "Cas!" Sam cried suddenly. "Castiel! I pray to you, please! Dean is dying!"

Dean let out a breathy laugh. "He not going to-"

Sam's ears perked up at the sound of fluttering wings.

Sam stood and turned around, to see a familiar trenchcoat wearing angel.

"Cas, thank god-" Sam started, but Castiel quickly took a step past him, towards Dean. "It's happening." Cas said, dropping down to Dean's side. "What, what's happening?" Sam asked. Cas looked at him, his blue eyes full of fear, regret and worry. "Atropos. Fate, Sam." She's taken his life, because I ruined her."

Sam had never seen the angel cry, but he looked close to it.

"And?" Sam said. "Can't you just use your grace to heal him?"

Cas touched his fingers to Dean's forehead and shut his eyes.

Both Dean and Cas started to glow a dull blue, the light shining through the dark room.

Finally, Cas pulled his hand away from Dean. Dean didn't look any more healed.

"...I can't."

Sam wanted to argue. Wanted to yell at the angel to try harder, to do something.

But he knew it would be for nothing.

Dean, assigned by fate itself, was going to die.

"Dean." Castiel said in a low tone. Dean's eyes seemed to focus on Cas, telling him that he's listening.

"I can bring you back," Cas said, "but you are going to have to die, first." Dean laughed a bit. "Aw, nice. Well, kill me quickly, so you can bring me back."

Cas nodded.

Sam watched, worry all over his face, tears staining his cheeks.

"Sammy."

Sam looked at Dean and took a step closer.

"Don't watch."

Sam blinked.

"What?"

Dean's eyes were fluttering close, then opening again. "Don't watch me die. You've seen that enough."

Sam opened his mouth to say something, but closed it. He turned, knowing what would happen.

Sam heard Cas unsheathed his angel blade.

Sam heard Dean cry out in pain.

Sam felt the room be bathed in light.

Sam turned back around, and saw his brother sitting there, healthy as ever, Cas looked disheveled and tired, but he smiled a bit when Dean hopped to his feet and yelled, "Honey I'm home!"

Sam let out a breath of relief and shook his head. "That was terrifying." Cas nodded. "Agreed." Dean just grinned. "Aw you guys. It almost sounds like you care about me." He smirked. Sam rolled his eyes, but couldn't help smile a bit. "Nope. We still hate you." Sam supplied. Dean nodded. "Yeah, okay. Hey, thanks Cas. I'll give you a kiss for that later." Dean said, and winked. Cas' eyes went wide, and he went a bright shade of pink.

Suddenly, he was gone.

Sam laughed. "Oh my god, he actually loves you." Dean shrugged. "Nah, I think he just gets flustered easily." Sam rolled his eyes. "Yeah no, you both love each other and you're going to get married when the apocalypse is over."

Dean punched him in the arm.

"Bitch."

"Jerk."