Chapter 1 - Alone

Why am I alone? I'm so stupid. Well technically I'm the only one out of my group who isn't stupid. But still. Why is it always the weak ones that have to make it out on their own.

I lay down almost in the middle of no where. I knew it wasn't safe but, oh well I guess. What else was there left for me to lose. After about an hour of laying down in my crappy make shift camp, killing 2 of those.... things, I finally drifted off to sleep.

———————————-

Everyone was around me. We were sitting around the fire, laughing around it's flames. Lucas sat opposite me, his bright shining smile always my brightened mood. He wasn't the best brother but I don't know what I would do without him. Our camp wasn't the best but we had shelter, food, water and somewhat of an
escape from the monsters beyond the barbed wire fence.

I heard a growl from behind the bushes ahead. I didn't think much of it. It was one of those beasts and it'd surely just get trapped on the wire.

The growl came again. And again. And again. Getting louder and louder as if it was getting closer. But oddly, each one sounded different. A feminine soft growl. Then a deep menacing one. I placed my hand over my knife, trying not to alarm my group, but still ready to strike if I needed to. But before I even had the chance, 2 blood curtailing screams came from the other side of the fire. The creatures had sank their teeth into 2 of my camp mates necks. One being Amelia, the other was --

"LUCAS!" I screamed, leaping over the fire to his side.

I stabbed the creature in the head, and someone else tackled the one on Amelia. I turned to see if my brother was OK, but i was too late... Another scream erupted from his mouth as another creature ripped into his flesh. And another. And another.

I looked through the bushes ahead to see hundreds upon thousands of those things limping up the hill, all following each other.

I looked back down at Lucas. The horrifying sight was nothing less then traumatic. To watch your own brother be ripped apart, while still alive, and not being able to do anything about it.

More of the wretched things staggered up the hill. Everyone else has fled, and the only meal for them left standing, myself, had all their clouded eyes fixed on me.

"LEIGH! RUN!.... NOW!"

I didn't want to leave him, but I knew I had too. I nodded hesitantly and ran. Picking up my bag of supplies that I kept just in case as, I darted from the slaughter house.

I just kept running. And running. Until I was almost certain I had lost the monsters following me.

That's when I realised my group were no where to be seen.

I was all alone....

———————————————

I suddenly jolted up from my sleep, as the memory was played on the back of my eyelids.

I turned to my left to see one of those things, tangled and desperately trying to free itself from the wire I had put up around my 'camp'. I got up from my sleeping bag and stumbled over to it.

It was trying so hard to get to me, rubbing its face against the wire, leaving a open wound across its cheek. I lifted up my knife and put it through the creatures temple. When I released, it fell to the ground, hitting its face off every wire on the way down.

Once it hit the ground something fell out it's pocket and slid under the wires. I picked it up and examined the item I now knew to be a wallet. Upon opening it up and saw a mans face that reassembled the monsters. Except the one laying on the ground in front of me was decaying, a shadow of it's former self.

He was surround by his family and wore a work uniform of some kind, I couldn't quite make out what though.

After everything that's happened I had almost forgot that these things were people once. They had families, friends, jobs, a life.

I sat on the ground, and images of my family flashed in my mind. My mom, my dad, Lucas and my baby brother Tony.

But now I'm alone. A 14 year old girl, in the woods, alone. Not to mention I'm surrounded by these dead alive cannibals trying to eat at my flesh.

What I great place the world has become.