The boy who turned my life around

Ch. 1

I walked into my room and turned the light on. I shielded my eyes as the light was too bright. I flipped the light off and turned on the lamp that sat beside my bed, which gave off a duller light. I sat on my bed and looked around my room. The walls were painted purple, but the paint was old and chipping. The curtains were black and heavy.

They say California is a bright and sunny place, but I'm not bright or sunny. I'm actually quite dark. From the way I dress to what I am. Today my attire was: a dark gray T-shirt, black skinny jeans, a black leather jacket, and my favorite black converse. My dark brown hair was pulled into it's usual ponytail, which was tucked into a dark gray beanie.

My makeup was also dark. Black eyeshadow, black eyeliner, black mascara, and red lipstick. I never went out much, so my skin was very pale, which was a very unusual trait for a person who lives in California. Everyone who lives here has perfect tans and nice beach bodies except for me. I could tell someone I was a vampire and they would probably believe me.

That is if I talked to anyone. I'm afraid to get close to anyone. When I get close to someone, I trust them. When I trust them, I tell them about what I am. Every time I have ever told someone what I was, they always would run, disgusted or scared. I don't blame them, who could love an emo girl?

That's what I was. I was emo. That's why I love being in the dark. That's why I always wear a jacket or a hoodie even when it was damn near 100 degrees. I had to hide my wrists.

There were cuts. Five on one wrist, five on the other. I wish I could stop. Trust me, I've tried to stop, but I found that cutting was like an addiction. It was a way to make myself feel relief.

I pulled back the curtain a little and looked out the window. The sun had set. I walked to my front door and walked outside to the beach. I loved taking walks on the beach at night. I found it calming.

I walked along the shore, the waves rolling over my feet. I looked at the horizon as the last little glow of sunlight disappeared. I kept my eyes on the horizon, not paying attention to where I was going. That's when it happened.

I ran into something and fell to the damp sand. I looked up to see what I ran into. I tall blonde boy stood in front of me.

"I am so sorry. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going." He said, helping me up.

I brushed the sand off of myself.

"It's okay." I shrugged.

"What are you doing out so late?" He asked, seeming genuinely curious about me.

"I could ask you the same thing." I said.

"I got in a fight with my band." He explained, "maybe you've heard of us. R5."

I shook my head.

"Doesn't ring a bell." I said.

He just simply shrugged.

"You still haven't answered my question. What are you doing out so late?" He asked, a smirk playing on his lips.

"Just wanted to walk. Get some fresh air." I said.

"Mind if I walk with you?" He asked.

"Not at all."

We started to walk along the shore. Then he spoke up again.

"My name is Ross, by the way."

Ross. That was a nice a name.

"I'm Kayla." I mumbled.

"That's a pretty name." He said.

Then his phone rang. He pulled it out of his pocket to see who it was.

"I gotta take this. It's my brother/ bandmate, Riker." He said as he answered the call.

I heard the voice on the other line start talking.

"Ross, I'm sorry for yelling at you. Please come back and finish rehearsal. We have a concert next week."

"It's okay. I just wanted some air. I'm on my way back home." Ross said. The next thing he said he was obviously trying to say it quietly enough so that I wouldn't hear, but I did. "Dude, I just met a really pretty girl."

"Awww! Rossy's got a crush!" A different voice said in a sing-song tone.

I could feel my face turn red.

"Shut up, Rocky!" Ross hissed into the phone. "I'll be there in a few minutes."

He hung up the phone and looked at me. I was a little confused.

"You think I'm pretty?" I asked.

He nodded shyly, his face turning red.

"I really like it when girls wear red lipstick." He said. Then, he winked at me, sending a chill down my back. I thought of another question popped into my head.

"Does all of you have names that start with r?" I asked.

"Yes, there's five of us and all of our names start with r. Hence the name R5." He explained.

"I gotta go. I hope we'll see each other again." He said hopefully. I smiled and nodded. He smiled.

I went back to my house. Once I was inside I couldn't stop smiling like an idiot. I had a feeling deep in my stomach. It always scared me when I had this feeling, but there was no denying it.

I had a crush.