The Beginning

Turning around the corner sharply, an unruly teenager smirked deviously. The shadows that were trailing behind them twitched, in an almost nervous manner. The shadows stretched, swiveling higher up into the air, signifying distress of some sort. As the boisterous teenager propelled themself forward, they seemed to have finally noticed the shadows’ panic. With a nod of the teen’s head, the shadows shrunk down towards the floor, as if they were melting. That small, almost unnoticeable command had caused the shadows to stretch out and begin to form a dark bubble around the teenager.

The darkness surrounded the adolescent, obscuring them from view. The shadows had completely concealed the teenager when they heard footsteps approaching. In alarm, the teen held their breath, not wanting to risk getting caught by the owners of the footsteps. Angry yelling echoed around the small hallway, resonating off of the walls and floors. The nearly invisible teenager winced at the loud shouting, since their ears happened to be more sensitive than most others’.

When the footsteps and commotion finally died down, the shadows bunched up together in front of the teenager, who reached out a hand towards the ball of shadows. The ball fell promptly into the juvenile’s hand, in which the teen responded by grinning. “Come on, it’s okay, you can change forms now,” the teenager murmured softly. The ball of shadows suddenly jerked, a limb-shaped form now protruding out from it. The teen chuckled as the ball shuddered and a humanoid-figure erupted out from it. All that was left of the shadow ball was a crumpled shell on the floor. The teenager nodded approvingly at the figure in front of them. The shadow shifter in front of the yellow-eyed teen looked up timidly at his comrade. In the nervous boy’s hand laid a shiny jewel of some sort. Meekly, he handed over the shiny gem to the teenager in front of him.

“Thanks, Ferrier,” the teenager replied, feeling the jewel over with their hands.