r o u t i n e

"And is that with sugar, or just creamer?" I asked the customer politely, scribbling down her response on my notepad that stayed tucked into my apron. "Okay, gotcha. I'll be right  with you for that, miss."

Turning on my heel, I spun quickly to the coffee machines on the wall behind me and began the brew ordered. I turned again and quickly rung the bell. 

"Next in line, please!" Doing another spin, I addressed the customer while I arranged the last order, which was just done brewing, "Momo's Cafe, where every customer has a smile. What can I get for you today?" 

Working at Momo's had been a part of my routine since before high school, I started when I was just thirteen. I wasn't being paid then, because the cafe is owned by Mrs. Shin, my best friend Hoseok's mom. The two of us used to help out all the time, and soon I found myself with a barista job while Hoseok chased his ultimate dream of being a famous singer. 

Personally, I think coffee might as well be my ultimate dream. I've never found another talent, and everyone says I make killer cappuccinos. Hoseok went on to become Wonho, a member of Monsta X, and I went on to become Minji, Momo's employee of the month six years running. Doomed to be a coffee girl forever. 

"Can I get your world famous Cappuccino, Miss Jung Minji?" The male voice spoke.

"Sure, just give me one--" my head snapped up from the cup of coffee I was preparing. "Hosoek?"

I had to restrain myself from jumping over the counter right then and there to give him a bear hug, so instead I ran out from behind the workspace and leapt into his open arms. He was taller and more muscular than the last time I saw him, and he wasted no time in spinning me around and hugging back stronger. 

"Hoseok! Did you just get home? How's life after the debut? You have to tell me everything! Come on, my shift ends at four and then we can go everywhere we used to go and you can fill me in on all the details!" Words came out of my mouth without an end, and I babbled continuously, only stopping when I realized there were six more boys standing awkwardly behind us. 

"Just wait Minji," Hoseok laughed a little at my expression upon noticing the rest of his group.

"Mom!" He called into the back room, "Minji is taking a short break!"

_____

The short break ended up being hours as our group of eight took over a table in the back of the cafe, and we made up for lost time. First, I made myself comfortable with my legs almost completely on Hoseok's lap. Then, I casually untied my apron and put it on the table, draping it over the corner. 

"Okay Minji, this is Hyungw--" he began introducing.

"I don't mean to interrupt, but you really don't have to introduce everyone, I watched No.Mercy." I reminded him.

"You did?" Jooheon asked from the other end of the table. I nodded. "Who was your favorite?" 

"Hoseok-ah!" I practically screamed into the receiver when I saw his contact name pop up.

"Hey Minji!" He answered, a little static interfering into the call. "Did you watch the first ranking?" 

"Of course I did. I'm so proud of you! I knew you could do it!" I hadn't seen my best friend since he started training, but we spoke on the phone often enough. He told me he was going to participate in a competition show to debut, and I was just elated to see him get closer and closer to his ultimate dream. 

"No soulmate yet?" He asked cautiously, like he seemed afraid of my answer. 

"Nope. What about you?" I could hear the disappointment in his voice when he said no, too. Hoseok always was a romantic, practically counting down the days until he meets 'the one'. 

"So what did you think of the show?" He changed the subject quickly, off the sensetive topic for both of us. 

"I thought it was great, you're all so good. But I feel bad for number 11, what was his name?" I tried to recall, but failed. "The one who said he was sorry to his parents."

"Ahhh, MInhyuk!" Hoseok said a little too loudly, and I cringed at the thought of the other trainees hearing him.

"Huh?" It came from Hoseok's line, and I heard Hoseok laugh.

"Sorry, I wasn't calling you. I'm on the phone with my friend and she said you're her favorite on the show." He answered, and there was a brief dolphin-like screech in the background.

"That's not what I said!" I frantically tried to explain. "I just think he was rated unfairly and his apology was very sweet, I'm sure he'll do way better next time and everyone will see his talent!"

"Oh, sorry. She said you're not her favorite, she just thinks you're sweet and talented, and that you were rated unfairly." Hoseok laughed, "Although that sounds a lot like you're her favorite,"

"Thank you, phone-girl!" Came another distant response, and I hid my face in my hands.

"It's Minhyuk," I said, willing my cheeks not to flush red. 

"You're phone girl!" He jumped up excitedly, "I should give you a hug for what you said after our first ranking, it meant a lot to me!" Before I could blink, Minhyuk was out of his chair, next time mine, and giving me a bear hug around the shoulders. All I could do to reciprocate was pat his arms, given the awkward positioning of the hug.

"At first I was disappointed that I wasn't her favorite," Hoseok said after Minhyuk had returned to his seat, "But then I remembered that Minhyuk has been the same as her ideal type since we were children." 

I choked on my coffee. 

As if she answered my prayer, Mrs Shin called my name from the back room.

"Break time is over, Jung Minji!" I slid my legs off of Hoseok's and stood up, trying not to race back behind the counter to avoid any more embarrassing moments. 

"Well guys, duty calls," was all I managed to get out, before I sprinted away.

-----

"And just a caramel latte for me, please," The girl finished off her order after listing at least four more drinks for her friends, sitting back a a table. I nodded and grabbed the pen from behind my ear, then felt around in my apron for my notebook to scratch down all the drinks. 

I frowned. I wasn't wearing the apron. Suddenly, I remembered putting it on the table while I was sitting with the guys. 

No problem, I thought, and I began scribbling abbreviated versions of the order down on my palm. 

Seemingly out of nowhere, the volume coming from the table housing the boys increased dramatically. Whoops and hollers came rising up, and the girl ordering looked over, appalled. 

"I'm sorry, miss," I smiled earnestly. "You'll have to excuse those guests, they just got back into town after an extended leave," My eyes shifted to the table, where the group was huddled around Minhyuk. 

"And they're all morons, but that's besides the point. Let me get you those coffee's, yeah?"