18 months

As the song booms loudly through the speakers, the household is wide awake. Although it is early in the morning, it will never stop the boys playing their rock music, potentially waking up the whole neighbourhood. You know what they say: Boys will be boys!

The button on the top of her alarm clock is so worn out, you can no longer make out the writing that once said 'snooze'.
As she awakes, Jess reaches for her phone. As always, a good morning text awaits her as she reluctantly rolls out of bed. This was always the part of the day that Jess looked forward to... reading the message from Joel would always make her smile.

Jess and Joel had been going out now, for about eighteen months. They loved each other. They looked out for each other. They took care of each other.

After a while, Jess' long, blonde, wavy hair was neatly braided and her lips stood out in a shade of red. She had study notes crumpled up inside her bag and books lying around everywhere.
She wasn't the most organised of people and would often be finding money to buy a new pen or textbook. But none of that would stop her from doing her best.

Within an hour, Jess was in her crappy old car, on her way to school. She drove carefully, she always did. She obeyed the signs and speed limits, stop a the stop signs and gave way to others.
It wasn't a long drive to the school, only a few minutes. When she got there, josh was waiting for her. Greeting her with a kiss, they walked into school hand in hand, like two peas in a pod.

Jess held on tight to Josh's hand, because the past had proven, that if Jess didn't hold on to things tight, they were snatched away from her.
Jess knew that unlike everything else, Josh was one thing that couldn't be taken away from her. She knew that as long as she held on tight, he would stay with her.