Prologue (Third Person POV)

"So why involve Team Scorpion? This sounds like something the Feds are more than capable of handling."

"It would be if it weren't for the people they're trafficking."

"No way..."

The members of Team Scorpion stand around the table, eyeing the Fed suspiciously until Toby speaks up.

"Guys, we have to take this gig," he says.

"Why?" Happy asks.

"Because the people they're trafficking are participants in a top secret government experiment involving studies on rapid cellular regeneration." He makes air quotes as he says "top secret."

The Fed sets down a few folders. "How do you know that?"

Toby laughs. "Do you really have to ask that? You're standing in a room full of geniuses."

"An experiment on rapid cellular regeneration? That is bleeding edge medical technology that we don't have," Walter says, his eyebrows furrowed together and his arms crossed.

"Yet," the Fed adds. "That's why they were running experiments. A group of scientists from OXION Corps have been fiddling with ideas about this for over two decades now."

"So what changed? How did they suddenly get the technology they need to start the experiments?"

"That's classified."

"Sly?" Walter asks with a sigh.

"I'm almost into the OXION databases now."

"Wait, that's--"

"Aaaaand I'm in. Walter, you're going to want to take a look at this. Something doesn't seem right."

"Put it up on the screen."

The monitors behind the Fed turn on and thousands of numbers start scrolling past faster than what anyone can read. The numbers seem to shift across the screens every so often, creating small images of an unfamiliar symbol.

"What the heck is that?" Toby asks. "That's not from any language I know."

"It's not from any language you would know," Walter says quietly.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Cabe asks.

Walter doesn't say anything. He spins around on his heels and walks over to his desk, running a hand through his hair and looking more unnerved than any of them have ever seen him before.

"Walter?" Paige asks. "What's wrong?"

Walter sits down at his desk, his fingers flying across the keyboard of his laptop. His eyes are completely focused on the screen, his mind zoned out. Everyone looks at him, but he still gives no response, his lips pressed together tightly. No one says a word at first, unsure of what even to say.

"It doesn't matter," the Fed says eventually, speaking up. "Will you take this gig or not?"

Cabe glances at Walter again. "Something tells me that if Walter weren't so zoned out right now he'd say yes without any hesitation. So yes."

Toby claps his hands together once. "Well this is exciting! Finally a case that deals with technology in my area of specialty."

"So this isn't so much a case of human trafficking as it is a case of rescue," Tim says, glancing at Cabe.

The Fed nods a little. "I guess you can think of it that way. Anyways, here are the files on everyone you need to get back and their last known location." He pushes the files forwards and readjusts his suit. "Call me when you get them back." He tosses a card on the table and then turns and leaves.