Cryokinesis

Mutation: It is the key to our evolution. It is how we evolved from a single-celled organism into the dominant species on the planet. This process is slow, normally taking thousands and thousands of years. But every few millennia, evolution leaps forward.

This particular mutant has a quite unique power known as cryokinesis. This means she has the mental capability to freeze anything using her mind. Her name is Gwendolyn Monroe.

When she was young, Gwendolyn, or Gwen, was abandoned by her mother and father for they feared her mutant powers. She had come home one day to an empty house and yelled up and down the long halls for her parents. They did not answer. She looked in every room in the house, but each was vacant.

"Hm," she thought to herself. "Maybe they just went to the store." She decided to wait for them to come back. When she woke up the next morning she had realized she had fallen asleep in the tan rocking chair that she loved to sit in as a child.

She stood up, stretched, and peeked out of the white blinds to check for her parent's car. It was not there. She stepped back and ran to her parent's room. Vacant. She quickly walked to the wooden dressers and pulled out each drawer. Each one was empty.

It was at that moment she realized that her parents were never coming back. She yanked a drawer completely out of the dresser and threw it across the room with a scream. She knew why they had left. Who would ever want a mutant child?

She stomped into her room, opened her white-painted dressers, and shoved all of her clothes into a backpack. She took the little bit of money she had along with other important necessities.

When she finished, she took her short white hair and put it into two stubby pigtails that rested on her shoulders. She looked in the mirror as she was doing so. Her face, which was usually ghostly pale, was now burning red from anger. She was surprised that not a single tear had slid down from her aqua eyes.

She then slipped on her gray winter boots, grabbed her seafoam green peacoat, and slammed the door behind her. When the door slammed, she angrily covered the whole house in ice. She refused to be ashamed of her cryokinetic powers any longer.

She traveled for days, stopping at small restaraunts only when she needed to. She barely slept. She had nowhere to go, until one day she came upon a school.

This school did not seem like any other school. In fact, it looked more like a mansion. It was a huge white building with beautiful greenery everywhere. It had a big black gate surrounding it. There was a sign that read "Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters." The sign was rusted and it had clearly fallen off of the wall a while before she arrived.

The words 'gifted youngsters' intrigued Gwen, so she decided to check the place out. She opened the gate and walked across the big, circular path that led to the building. As she approached the big, brown doors, she was nervous to knock. She lifted her hand and paused for a second. "Come on," said a voice in her head. "Knock."

When she knocked, a young man answered the door. He was tall and thin with short black hair and glasses. "Hello," he said with a smile.

"Hi, uh, I'm Gwendolyn," she replied. "I've been traveling for days because I no longer have a home. I somehow came upon this place and, well, some instinctive voice in my mind told me to come and knock on the door, and-"

She paused, hoping she did not sound crazy. The young man smiled. "I think you should see the professor." He opened the door wider. She hesitantly walked in, only to find that the place looked as though it had been abandoned. It had many rooms with dust, and cob webs on the ceiling. In front of her was a giant staircase on both the left and right sides that merged together in the center which faced forward. She considered turning around and running away, until the boy behind her spoke again.