Chapter 1

Jayde stepped inside the library, a blast of heat hitting her face, and bombarding her with the smells of old books and lemon furniture polish. She was originally planning on doing homework, but the endless rows of books were extremely distracting.

"It's a weekend." The dark-haired teenager told herself, trying to find an excuse to put aside her homework and find a new book to submerge herself in.

The old librarian glanced up from her desk and offered Jayde a small smile. She was a kind old lady, recently widowed. Jayde felt bad for the librarian, though it didn't stop her from returning the smile, and moving to the desk to involve the lady in a small conversation.

"Good morning, Ms. Jones." Jayde said brightly, placing a hand on the cool granite surface of the desk.

"Good morning, my dear." Ms. Jones responded happily, leaning forward in her chair and placing a frail hand on top of Jayde's. She patted the teenager's hand gently before returning her gaze to the computer screen.

Jayde moved from the edge of the desk and began making the short trek from the entryway to the shelves.

The library was unusually quiet, considering it was a Saturday evening. Normally, there would be dozens of teenagers doing last minute homework. But now, it seemed like she was the only person amongst the rows of books.

She scanned the bookshelves, not looking for anything in particular. The end of the aisle was drawing nearer when a bright red book caught her eye. The teenage girl unintentionally made a puzzled face as she stood on her toes to reach the novel. After a drawn-out moment of staggering around, Jayde managed to dislodge the book from the shelf. The book nearly slipped from her hand in the desperate stumble, but she lunged forward and clamped her fingers around the cover before it clattered to the ground. A breathy sigh of relief escaped her lips as she tucked it safely under her arm and made her way back to the tables.

"What do we have here?" Jayde muttered to herself, opening the cover and turning to the first page with written words.

"No dedication..." The girl instinctively swept her dark hair over one shoulder and bent over the book, embedding herself within the words.

Dear reader,

Well, well, well. It sure is nice of you to pick up an ignored fellow like myself. It makes me feel less alone in this dark world of paper and ink.

Jayde pulled her eyes away from the words, the puzzled expression returning to her face. She contemplated putting the book back on the shelf, but decided against it. After all, how much harm could one book do?

Ah, I see you're taking the time to decide on whether or not you'd like to put me back on that dreaded shelf. Hopefully, you will choose to continue. If not, well, it's your loss, really. Just please be kind enough to put me back somewhere else where I can meet some new characters. Those romance novel characters are so dull. I mean, honestly, vampires that sparkle? Give me a break. Whatever happened to chivalry?

She looked up from the book once more, subconsciously chewing on the inside of her cheek and gazing off into space. This book was definitely odd. Though, whether it was a good odd or a bad odd, she couldn't quite figure out.

Oh, I am very real. And quite handsome, if you ask some of those sci-fi novels down in aisle six. But, I suppose they don't get out much. The amount of Whovians and Trekkies that come to this library anymore is small and widespread.

Whovians? Trekkies? Jayde laughed breathily, this was stupid. Still, she continued reading the book, assuring herself that it was simply a comedy, and nothing more.

How old are you? 13, 14, 15? Somewhere around that area, I suppose. Most people are. Oh! And you are most certainly female. Everyone is.. Actually, not everyone, but that's a story for another day. Anyway, enough of my rambling. You haven't answered my questions."

Jayde snorted. This whole concept was idiotic. The teenager pushed herself out of the plush chair, book in hand, and made her way back to the shelf. She stood on her toes to replace the book, but hesitated at the last moment.

"Why? It's just a book." She hissed to herself, glancing down at the page that she was still holding open.

Just a book? Why, my dear, I am offended. I'm much more than a simple old book. In fact, I am the most extraordinary book in the world!

Jayde sighed and rubbed the bridge of her nose. This was headache-inducing, though, she couldn't quite figure out why. After a moment of silently arguing with herself, she decided to weave through the bookshelves once more, and regain her position in the chair.

"Fine," she began in a low voice, as if she were afraid someone would hear her.

"My name is Jayde, I am fifteen years old, and I am losing my mind."

Ah, I like that name. Hello, Jayde. My name is Arch. Arch Nempt.

"That's a stupid name." Jayde crinkled her narrow nose in disgust, momentarily forgetting that she was conducting a conversation with a piece of paper.

No need to be rude. To be honest, Jayde is a stupid name as well.

Jayde tugged on a piece of brown hair that had fallen in her eyes. "How did you spell my name correctly?" She asked, thoroughly enchanted at the prospect of a book that replied to her.

It was quite easy, actually. Jayde is an unusual spelling, and you are an unusual girl. I hate to be a narcissist, but now we shall turn the attention back to myself. In this book, I am fifteen, quite like yourself. Technically, I was published seventy years ago. Also technically, I am immortal, doomed to be fifteen forever.

"Well, that's not fun at all, now is it?" The teenage girl sighed, an involuntary smirk flashing across her pale features. "Or, maybe it is. I don't particularly know, seeing as I've never been immortal before."

No, I suppose it's not. There are some perks, though. For example, I get to meet new people. Every generation. Frankly, this one is quite depressing.

"Is that why you talk like a seventy year old?" She mused, turning the page.

I do not speak like a seventy year old!

"For starters, fifteen year olds don't say 'speak', we say 'talk'." Jayde snorted, propping her chin on her palm.

All right, maybe I do talk like a seventy year old.

Jayde laughed, adjusting her position and turning to the next page.

"How are you doing that?"

Doing what?

"Responding to me. Is everything prewritten, or does it write as I go?"

I honestly don't know. That question has been asked many times, and every time, I have failed to answer.

An announcement sounded over the PA. The library would be closing in a few minutes.

"Will you still be there if I go home?"

You cannot close the covers all the way, otherwise I'll be gone. But, you can check me out like any other book in this library.

"Alright, that's settled then." Jayde muttered, closing the covers around her hand so she could hold her place.

Ms. Jones offered Jayde a knowing smile when the girl refused to move her hand as the old librarian scanned the book.

"Find an interesting one, did you?" She asked, a thin eyebrow arched quizzically.

"I'm not quite sure." Jayde responded, returning the smile.

"Well, let me know when you return it." Ms. Jones said, turning back to her computer screen.

Jayde turned and stepped out of the doors into the chilly winter air. This was going to be an interesting night.