Chapter 1- The Marriage

1981

I walk down the red carpeted isle. The press are closing in me, this huge church seems a million times smaller.

My wedding to the Prince of Wales today 29 July, is reaching a global television audience of over 750 million people.

Well that eases my nerves.

I squeeze my bouquet tightly, trying to hide my nervousness from the cameras. My shaky plastered on smile twitches at the corners of my mouth. This isn't what my dream marrige would be like, it would be with someone I love.

I can just remember my mother screeching at me when I was 15 at my first royal dinner.
"back straight, shoulders back, chin up and smile. You are a princess remember that! Don't embarrass me again! You will marry who ever I think suitable for you!"

I apporch the man at the alter that is my betrode. I look at his faked smile, he's loving this, inheriting all my families fortune and increasing mine and his popularity.

*flashback*
1977

I first met Charles, in November when he was dating my sister, Lady Sarah. He took a serious interest in me as a potential bride during the summer of 1980, I found it quite creepy but sweet. When we were guests at a country weekend, where I watched him play polo. The relationship developed as he invited me for a sailing weekend to Cowes aboard the royal yacht. See I did actually fall in love with him, but he never loved me and still doesn't.

This was followed by an invitation to the Royal Family's Scottish residence to meet his family a weekend in November 1980.

I was well received by the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, and Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.

1981

We subsequently courted in London. He proposed on 6 February, and I accepted, but our engagement was kept secret for the next few weeks because I was not ready for the world to know yet about my fake fiancè who I did not actually love, well anymore.

I found this out because he was only in it for his public image. When people where around he was my Prince Charming who adored me and treated me like a red rose amoung the white ones and when we where alone my worst nightmare...

He and my mother pressured me into it, saying its for the country, for the kingdom it will crumble if we do not unite. But I was not convinced until they said "for the children Diana, for the children"
I could not deny my admiration for children and I could not let then suffer.

*present*

I have lived in this kind of life, all my life.
No privacy, no fun, nothing about me is exactly normal. Being born into a royal family and next in line for the throne of England isn't exactly what I would consider normal.

Don't get me wrong I'm very blessed to have what I have, but it comes with consequences. I lost my childhood memories and to have my whole life plastered over a magazines and TV screens is a horrific tragedy.

"We are gathered here today, on this happy and joyous occasion, to join this man and this woman in holy matrimony." the preacher broke me out of my thoughts

"Charles, prince of Wales, do you take Princess Diana Frances to be your lawfully wedded wife?" he asked Charles

He gave an evil smirk and sighed.

"I do" he stated while licking his lips.

"And do you Princess Diana Frances of Wales, take Prince Charles's to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

I don't want this, I don't want this!

"I uh... " I scan over the large crowd.

A lump in my throat begins to build. My breathing increases and I feel all the royals from around the world staring at me with pressuring eyes as the press leans forward slightly waiting for me to slip up.

I have to do it, for the children, for my family.

I turn back to the preacher as he raises a questioning eyebrow with a hoping look in his eye.

I turn to Charles who is giving me a look that was sending shivers down my spine. I was scared.

"I...do" I croaked out the words that I did not mean.

It felt quite odd, I always imagined myself in a small wedding with a wonderful man that I loved, but I guess life isn't what the movies of my childhood taught me. Happily Ever After dose not exist.

"you may kiss the bride" the preacher announced

Charles leaned forward pukering his dry deceitful lips.

I closed my eyes and held my breath waiting for impact as soon as I felt his lips on mine I moved away as fast as possible.

The crowd all stood and cheered.

Charles grabbed my hand and we walked back down the isle together. Congratulations' where shouted to us from all corners of the room.

As we exited the church I could hear helicopters flying over us and as we opened the front doors I was blinded by flashing lights, 600,000 people lined the streets to catch a glimpse of the us.

I dashed for the carriage but I tripped and fell in my huge white dress.

Charles didn't even bother helping me up, he just smiled and posed for the cameras.

I jumped straight into the carriage and Charles followed.

"to the palace please, and hurry!" I shouted to the driver in the most polite way as possible. And he got the horses moving.

That was the day my downhill life fell straight off a cliff.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hey moonwalkers
Hope you enjoy this fanfic!
The first few chapters is to give back round about Lady Diana's life before she meets Michael.
Don't worry it gets better x

If anyone had any ideas for this story please share! X

Vote and comment! X