LOOK BOTH WAYS

LOOK BOTH WAYS

                                                                                  By Shaun Barrett

A family, running for its life. Bullets whizzing past their heads. Two parents and a scared girl. The man shooting, is drunk. Fresh vomit is splattered on the confederate flag patch on his jacket. He is far behind. He can't keep up with them in the dark forest. Excited obscenities spew from his mouth as he nonstop fires his gun. A hidden bear trap grabs hold of the shooter's foot. The family continues to run deeper into the forest escaping the violent stranger. The forest ends and forms into an open land. In this open space roam growling beasts with glowing eyes. They kill anyone that crosses their path. The father peaks out of the edge of the forest into the beast's area making sure none of them see him. The monsters are luckily more amused with each other. The beasts don't pay any attention to what's going on inside the forest. The three family members are frozen stiff in fear. Not one word needs to be spoken. They know that if they don't run through the beast's area, the gunman would soon catch up and kill them. They all line up terrified as the beasts roam the area roaring. All you can see are there deadly glowing eyes running by. The sound of a firing gun soon returns. The family looks back terrified, they now hear the man screaming violent threats as he keeps attempting to shoot them. They sprint out into the area. A giant beast roars as it lunges towards them. The whole family makes it to the other side where the forest continues. The beast does not follow the family into the forest. Instead it keeps running in a continuous path, farther and farther away. More giant beasts continue to run and follow each other in the same path. The drunk bloody hunter runs into the beast's area. He is standing in the middle of the road raising his gun. He aims it at the youngest member. The truck driver is blowing his horn and stomping on his brakes. The man is killed immediately by the speeding truck. The family of deer escape and run through the other side of the forest.