PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

-New Mexico-

"YOU HAVE TO TAKE her with you. She's driving me insane!" Jane pleaded with Eric, gripping the collar of his shirt to drag him out of his seat and across the dining table.

"Hey, I'm standing right here!" Darcy said. She moved from the kitchen toward the two and glanced at them both with a stern brow.

"Please..." Jane whispered. "No offence, Darcy. But I can't do it anymore!" She began, and lightly strangled him.

For the past few months, Darcy Lewis had being terrorising Jane in every possible manor. She was fed up with seeing her boss moping around all day, and in attempt to turn Jane back into a socially acceptable person, Darcy had been pestering her for weeks. Thor better have an astonishing explanation for leaving, or Darcy was going to rain hell down on his Norse arse.

"Come-on, you're no better than me. At least I can function properly." Darcy muttered, pointing at Jane while Eric shot her an amused look.

"She never stops eating! Or talking." Jane added.

"Again, standing right here."

"I just need a break. Just take her with you for a few weeks." Jane confessed, finally releasing Eric's shirt.

"If this is about you saving money on food, it's not going to work." Darcy said, slipping into a seat next to Jane, pinching her last slice of toast. Jane moved to protest, but before she could say anything about her missing piece of toast, Darcy began to speak again. "You eat just about as much as me these days. And I know it doesn't sound like hard work, but all this moping around the house after Thor and stuff - It is seriously exhausting!" Eric did his best to suppress a deep chuckle.

Eric had known Jane for a long time now, and the through all their hardships, she had always been there for him. The least he could do was try to grant her wishes.

"I might be able to organise something, but it's not going to be easy. The people I now work for are- let's say 'harsh negotiators'." Eric declared, glancing at Jane with a timid smile.

"Who do you work for?" Darcy questioned.

"That's classified."  Eric said, knowing full well the girls didn't know about his new and improved occupation. Recently assigned to investigate and monitor the behavioural activity and movements of the Tesseract, Eric was under oath and neither of the girls, no matter how close could know about it. It was definitely a secret indeed.

"Whatever..." Darcy mumbled before leaving the table to walk back into the kitchen.

"You'd owe me big time!" Eric whispered, slightly leaning over the table to confide with Jane.

"I know, but I'm pretty sure I'm driving her nuts just as much as she's driving me insane!" Jane confessed.

"Ha-ha, I can tell. You should see some of the emails she sends me." Eric voiced, observing Darcy raid the kitchen fridge.

"WHAT EMAILS!" Jane roared.

"That's classified!" Darcy said, laughing with Eric as he began to leave the table.

"Fine!" Jane grumbled in defeat, staring at the two laughing idiots in her kitchen.  "She could be your intern!" Jane suggested, glancing at the pair.

"I think it's hard enough being your intern." Darcy admitted, clasping a box of Captain Crunch and comfortably plonking herself upon the lounge.

"I'll make a few phone calls and see what I can do." Eric voiced and smiled at Jane before she ran to embrace him.

"You have no idea how grateful I am!" Jane rambled, withdrawing from the sudden contact. Jane and Eric were however suddenly brought back to reality when Darcy loudly muttered,

"I AM STILL HERE YOU KNOW!!!"