Falling

The grass was drenched with rain and there was a slight chill in the air. Clouds coated the sky in grey with only fall leaves to paint the trees with bright, warm colors. The humidity in the air hit your cheeks like a soft mist, and your cleats squeaked from the wet grass as you stepped up to the soccer goal. You carefully set your soccer ball in position for a goal kick. You practice sometimes when you need to think. After what happened, you didn't want to talk about it to anyone so you just tried ignoring it. Pushing the thoughts back, you backed up to focus on kicking the ball into the goal. You shot, you scored. It was calm and quiet at the park, but your inner thoughts made it hard to concentrate.

As you scored more and more, it became harder to repress your feelings. You felt your body getting warmer with every kick as you became more frustrated. Harder you kicked as your fears started to take over until you shot, and you missed. You stood there, blankly looking ahead at the ball rolling farther and farther from the goal. Tears filled your eyes to the point where you couldn't even see anymore. "You weren't focused on that last shot."

Your heart jumped as you turned to a tall, red headed, young man in activewear grinning from ear to ear. "Oh, sorry about that! I didn't mean to startle you!", his eyes were filled with glee, but quickly filled with worry. "Are you okay?", you gathered yourself and in a defensive tone you said, "Yeah, I'm fine." It annoyed you when you lied. But you couldn't show weakness to a stranger, so you did.

He leaned in examining you, "You're lying." What? How? He doesn't even know you! How did he know? How would he know? "You don't know me." You turned away from him with a cold look, and headed towards your ball. "You don't have to know someone to see when they're hurting." You stopped dead in your tracks as he continued, "You just have to look hard enough."  A tear rolled down your cheek as your blood boiled.

He doesn't know anything about you, how could he even begin to understand the pain you feel? You turned to face him and angrily replied, "So out of everyone in this city, you somehow stumble upon me?" The tall jock walked toward you with a worried expression, "You've got the wrong idea!" He put his hands on your shoulders and gazed deeply into your eyes, "If you feel like you can't talk to anyone else, talk to me. Holding things in will only make your situation worse. I'm a stranger to you. Anything you tell me I can't hold against you because I don't know you."

Your voice cracked as you tried holding back your tears,"Why do you care so much?" He flashed you a genuine smile, "Because I don't want to see you hurt anymore." The tall jock held you tightly, "Everyday for two weeks you were out here practicing. And each time you let your feelings overwhelm you, and you left. You were so upset, so I wanted to give you someone to confide in." His voice cracked, "I want to help you."

Finally, you broke down in front of him. You cried in his arms until you couldn't cry anymore. He was warm, and inviting. Eventually you calmed down, "I'm sorry." With a gentle smile, he replied, "It's alright." He held you in his embrace once more,                    

       "Don't worry about it."
            The End