A Drop in the Ocean

"A drop in the ocean, a change in the weather, I was praying that you and me might end up together..." he scribbled the words down his page before strumming a Dm, Bb, F, and C.

"It's like wishing for rain as I stand in the desert..."

He mumbled the words out quietly, letting the soft melody ring in the air. "But I'm holding you closer than most... 'Cause you are my heaven..."

He looked at her from a distance. Watching her laugh and giggle with some guy that he chose not to remember the name of. She belonged with that kind of guy. The tall, browned eyed, browned skinned  hair kind of guy. Not some short (5'9)brown-eyed, Latino friend of hers.

For him to get a chance with that girl, the most beautiful girl he's ever laid eyes on would be like wishing for the rain while standing in the desert.

But any time he has her near him, he values every sweet moment. Every hug, every kiss on the cheek, and every honey sweet smile he gets out of her.

He gently stroked his Yamaha guitar letting out a few more matching chords. He closed his eyes before singing a few words that escaped his mouth from his deepest thoughts.

"I don't want to waste the weekend, if you don't love me pretend. A few more hours then it's time to go..." he jotted his words down before another pair of lyrics flowed out of his lips.

"So you're seriously leaving on Monday aren't you?" she let out quietly as they sat on the pier, their eyes on the moonlit lake.

"Yeah...They've accepted me in... I can't refuse." He mumbled before his eyes wondered to her face. Her eyes continued to look at the water.

"Well I'm happy for you." She whispered quietly, her voice cracked.

He was leaving to New England for a university that had accepted him. It was something he had felt passionate about for years now. Music.

"Thanks." He sighed. They stayed silent for a long time; he had this forming urge say something...

"I need to tell you something before I leave."

Her eyes finally met his and they told him to continue.

"I love you... I think I always have."

She didn't know what to say, he knew that. She didn't say anything and looked down. He sighed before lifting her chin up so their eyes locked.

Her eyes held something he didn't understand but he needed to do something before it was too late. His lips leaned in and kissed her gently. It was soft and after a few seconds their lips parted.

"If you don't love me just pretend..." he mumbled almost pleadingly. He saw her nod her head before his lips captured hers once again.

He leaned back on his bed as the memory began to fade. His mind felt blank, trying to figure out words to express himself through his song. After what felt like an eternity but only a few minutes he wrote down a few more lyrics...

"As my train rolls down the east coast, I wonder how you'll keep warm. It's too late to cry, to broken to move on..."

It was Monday morning and he was waiting for his train. That's it, he was leaving today. Early this morning he had said his byes to The cast  but she wasn't there. He didn't know where she was but it was getting late and it was time to go.

He wrapped his leather jacket on him as he felt the cold kick in even harder. He licked his dry lips and stood impatiently.

"Anthony !" he heard her voice call out to him. He turned and before he knew it she had wrapped her arms around him. He hugged her back almost immediately, his arms resting around her waist.