CHAPTER SEVEN.

chapter seven — focus on the good
"Be happy for no reason, like a child. If you are happy for a reason, you're in trouble, because that reason can be taken away from you." — unknown

———

EDITED: December 8th, 2020
Spencer's POV

      AFTER A BRIEFLY SHORT RIDE, Tessa and I reached the newest victim's families house. During the car ride, we played a not very lengthy game of 'get to know your co-worker'.

      "Favourite season?" I questioned, perking an eyebrow over at Tessa as she adjusted her fawn hair a bit, to gather it behind her ear, rather than in her face.

      "Fall, or winter, you know spring is always beautiful too," the girl cocked up her eyebrows as she concentrated, and I couldn't help but smile in the slightest bit. "A mix of all of them, they're just so nice."

      "Like you," I whispered completely under my breath, as there was no chance she could understand what I said. I was almost in a trance, and I'm not lying either. It's mid-fall right now, so it's a little chilly in Connecticut, and the wind was blowing from north-east, which meant it was blowing Tessa's fawn hair from the open window in a spectacular way.

      "What?" She perked up, looking a bit confused at me as she had officially put the car in park, her head was tilted in this little adorable way, puppy-like.

      "I said that's cool," I shrugged off, unbuckling my seatbelt while gazing up to the house. I double checked the address that was scribbled into a small piece of paper in my hand, and nodded in confirmation to myself as it was correct.

      "Oh," Tessa said after a moment of silence, as if she didn't believe me, but quickly shook it off as she also unbuckled, popping open the drivers side so she could hop out.

      I exit the car as well, and my eyes run up the driveway of a beautiful two-story 1950's house. The outside was covered in astonishing white and grey stone bricks, and there were a few glass windows with black curtains covering them from letting the sunlight into the rather big house.

      Tessa started her way up to a few stairs on a dark wooden porch, and I quickly chased after her to make sure we would both be at the door at the same time.

      She lightly lifted her hand, and formed it into a small fist and knocked on the wooden door. It was a few seconds before we heard any footsteps from inside the house, and then the door swung open to reveal an older woman with gray hair and bright blue eyes. But around her blue eyes were a reddish color filling up the white, and her cheeks and under eyes were a bit puffy, so it was clear that the woman had been crying for some amount of time.

      "Hello ma'am," Tessa smiled, trying to make her tone of voice as soft as she possibly could. She fished out her FBI badge out of her back pocket for proof, letting it drop open, and then continued. "I'm Dr. Tessa Carter, but you can call me Tessa. And my friend over here is Dr. Spencer Reid, we're here to talk about your daughter, if that is okay with you?"

      The woman glanced at Tessa, to look her up and down, her eyes a bit wearily and her face seemed to express little to none emotions. For the first time she glanced over to me, studying for me a second, and then she bobbed her head slowly.