🐚

"Johnny, the fireplace won't burn itself, come home and light the wood!"

"Alright mum!"

The boy ran to his mother, leaving his boot floating on top of the freezing water. I've been watching him trying to get it for hours and it's been really entertaining.

"Ceto, why are you here?"

I looked back and saw my older sister Nerida.

"If the land lubbers see you they'll hurt you," Nerida said and clicked her tongue. "Let's go home." she said before diving down the cold gulf water to swim back home. Before I followed, I snatched the boot and placed it on the shore rocks for the boy to see tomorrow.

***

"It's going to be boring now

"It's going to be boring now." I sighed as I sat on the ocean floor.

"Why will it be boring?" Nerida questioned. "Come with us to the lagoon tomorrow." she proposed as she brushed her hair.

"To what? To watch the whales eat?"

"No, to watch Maelstrom's show."

I paused and pondered, it's been long since I watched Maelstrom's show. He performs with the nereids, singing tunes that calm the god of the sea.

Ever since I've set sight on humans, I stopped going to the lagoon and watched the land dwellers instead, observing them everyday because they amuse me more than the shows. Although sadly, it's already winter time so I don't see them often anymore.

"Fine. I'll come with you." I answered.

Nerida gleefully clapped. "Good!"

***

The next day, my sisters and I went to the lagoon. Every merman and mermaid were there, swimming around while chatting and looking for a reef to settle in for the show.

 Every merman and mermaid were there, swimming around while chatting and looking for a reef to settle in for the show

Luckily, we soon found empty reefs. Right after we sat down, the show began and Maelstrom appeared onstage looking dashing as ever.

"Tonight, we have new performers with us. I lured them from the pacific ocean and brought them home with me. Without further ado, Mermadies and Mertlemen, let's begin the show." Lights then danced onstage.

After the show, the merpeople cheered at the performers. I did the same but deep down I wasn't too amused nor impressed.

My sisters went home after and I lied so I can go to the gulf. As I swam, Maelstrom saw me and stopped to talk.

"You weren't impressed by the show."

"Sorry, I was... a little."

The merman smiled and stared. "I see, well let me leave you a piece of advise Ceto, do anything—everything for your entertainment's sake."

Maelstrom left but his advise stayed on my mind until I reached the gulf.

As I surfaced and hid behind the freezing rocks, I noticed the child's boot from yesterday still on the rocks. I wondered why it was still there so I took it, then I heard a strange noise.

 I wondered why it was still there so I took it, then I heard a strange noise

It was the boy, crying on the shore with one bare foot, red from the cold.

I watched him cry, and as he wiped his tears he saw me. The shock on his face was priceless. I decided to show him the boot and he immediately stood up.

"Give it back!" he cried.

I shook my head and swam back a little. The boy then approached the water and carefully looked at me.

The moment we made eye contact something clicked on my mind—not fear but an idea. As he sniffled, I slowly backed and hummed a tune.

The boy who kept eye contact slowly began moving towards the water, submerging at each step. A smile crept on my lips as the boy followed and sank.

Finally, I have my entertainment.

Thanks to Maelstrom's advise.

***