Ace of Stars: I

He had the time to fire one last shot. 

Perhaps that final missile could have pierced through the hull of the rogue Commonwealth arc. Perhaps the battle might have ended right then and there. But even before the glint of bright green emanated from her starboard swivel gun, before the HUD had calculated its cold trajectory, he knew by heart the final actions he would take. 

A growl emerged from a sea of static. "Reengage your fire! That is a fucking order," but the lieutenant was rapidly losing his sense of hearing. The colors of the control panel lights blurred together. They swirled around like binary stars in their cosmic waltz. Pushing back the launch console, the lieutenant powered down the missiles from his unit completely. 

A bark from the transmission once again. "Lieutenant! You will fire upon the ark." 

He never heard it. He only felt the vibrations of the metallic walls surrounding him. He grabbed violently at his helmet, grasping at the back to find the release button. The metal helmet collided onto the floor, and the vibration of the impact made him cry out. 

The green light began to seep into the walls of his unit.

The lieutenant took a mindful breath, allowing his mind to wonder for an instance if she too was taking a deep breath with him. He chose to believe that it was true, that they were breathing at the same time, no matter how far apart. No matter if he knew exactly where she was, but she would spend the rest of her life wondering where in the vast expanse of space his body would be floating. But now they were together, and he could almost hear her soft inhalation alongside his.

His heart ached at the sound.

And when the lieutenant reached into his pocket and removed the picture, when the green light flooded into the unit and the heat of the incoming blast made the glass sing, he looked at the photograph. Her beauty resisted and defied even the harsh color that stained his world. 

Tears stung his eyes but he forced himself to look at her. Nothing else, but her.

As the laser finally reached the surface of the window in front of him, her image was burned into his vision. 

They exhaled together.