newt scamander's (somewhat) lonesome choir

He sings when he's alone.

Well, not really alone. Not really alone. His beasts do count as company, after all. They are a good audience as well as good companions, because as soon as Newt began humming they quietened down in anticipation, conditioned to expect the various sounds that would come after.

At first he would sing in a low voice, mostly for himself, still used to the self-consciousness that came with doing things alone (not alone, again). Then his voice would become higher, surer, as he realized the occamy in his hands was looking up at him, completely still. He'd look around and see the rest all staring, silent, waiting. That alone was the catalyst that sparked the venting that came through hauntingly beautiful choiring that seemed to comfort Newt. Once he realized they were enraptured with his performance, he would go on for minutes at a time, occasionally cradling a small beast in his arms, as though he was singing for its sake.

He never enjoyed stopping to see the confusion on his beasts faces after his breathless pauses, so often he sang himself hoarse, letting his emotions break through like a dam opened through his chest and its contents reverberated through his menagerie.

Often he would stop when he felt that he could not go on for another second lest he would pass out of exhaustion, but it still disappointed him to see his beloved beasts silent for minutes on end after he finishes, still waiting for more of his singing. Every time he stopped, he wished he could go on forever.

Newt Scamander cannot speak to humans very well. But with his beasts he could communicate more than words ever will.

He isn't alone when he sings. Not really.