"Shamoners is still our second choice, right?"

1998 (12 years old)

"He's making those pants look really good." Deidra said as she munched on popcorn next to me.

I giggled, resting my chin on my knees as the In the Closet music video played on my tiny television screen. The volume was on low so my Mom wouldn't hear it in the other room.

"Do you think they actually kissed before?" I whispered, watching in jealousy as the woman on the screen clung to Michael.

"Probably. They come really close to it in the video."

We bobbed our head to the beat, smiling as we watched our Michael do his thing on the screen. Of course it wasn't the first time we seen it. Along with every other video he had made, we'd seen them all enough to redo them if we wanted to, but it didn't stop us from still getting really excited when one played.

"To just... keep it in the closet!" We sang loudly.

"What are you girls doing in there?" My mom yelled.

"Nothing!" I yelled back as Deidra and I snickered.

The video ended and we both layed back on my bed, looking up at my Thriller poster that hung over my bed.

"Shan?"

"Yeah?"

"What do you think he's doing right now?"

"I bet he's practicing a new dance move."

"I bet he's reading a bed time story to Prince."

I smile, "Yeah, maybe."

The bed shifts and we both face each other on my small comforter.

"Shan, why do you think Brian Connor said all that stuff today at lunch?"

"I don't know... Because he's cruel. Why else would he say it?"

"I was just thinking about it..."

"Why?" I sighed, "It's not like we haven't heard worse."

She suddenly laughs, "I think Cassie almost choked that Megan girl on the playground for saying our group is weird."

"I can see it."

"I think Cassie got detention for it."

"Well she's the one that said 'If you insult MJ you insult me'. And I don't think she takes lightly to being insulted. Megan should know to watch out."

I lean over and press play on my stereo. The first chords to Human Nature start and I close my eyes, feeling at total peace.

The door to my bedroom opens and in comes the rest of our group; Cassie, Macy, and Bridgett. They all sit down on my floor and Deidra and I join them.

I look around the group and smile. We're all so different that it still astounds me how one guy could have brought us all together. But that was the power of Michael Jackson.

It didn't matter what was going on in our normal lives and how much of a contrast they seemed to be. When it came to Michael we all had one thing in common, and that was we'd do anything for him. He had touched our hearts and we were grateful for the privilege. And when we sat down and talked about him you wouldn't have had a clue how different our backgrounds actually were. People who would have otherwise had nothing to do with one another.

Cassie was the product of a broken home. Having been living with her Mother and Father, and then her Father and step Mother, before finally settling down at her Aunt Gwen's house all by the age of nine. On the outside she seemed like a lost kid. Always getting into fights when she got the chance and sometimes talking back to teachers, but we knew the real her. She was protective about the people she cared about