Prologue

I never thought that I would call something so cold, so harsh... a paradise. All I could say as a kid was "paradise" 'cause that's where I dreamed I'd be one day. A paradise can be interpreted in many ways. My definition of paradise, well, is probably not yours.

I'm Marina, named after the sea. You would think I would have a connection with the beautiful ocean, right? Not really. I love snow, I love skiing, I love winter and hot cocoa by the fire.

I wanted to be a champion skier. I wanted to live in a cabin right next to Jane's Pro Ski Equipment & Lodge, my favorite skiing lodge (and of course my favorite ski equipment supplier) that I only lived a few minutes away from.

This Christmas (also my birthday... lucky me) I got tickets once again to the ski lodge. I wasn't usually excited as it was just an annual trip we did every year, but, this year I got to bring two friends.

I knew instantly who the first person I was going to invite was. My best friend, Alicia, A.K.A Ally. I called her up, and she agreed to come, ever though she was like hell on skis.

She asked me if I would let her bring her friend. I didn't think much of it. Her name was Hannah and even though I had recently only talked to her when I was confused on a subject in class, she seemed pretty nice, so I said "Why not?".

Worst. Decision. Of. My. Life.