Rogue One: A Movie Review

WARNING!!! SPOILERS!!! FULL OF THEM!!!

So I went to watch Rogue One last night and let me first say, I came out of the cinema shocked and spellbound. They said it was going to be a war movie, and they were right. It was an iconic Star Wars movie, full of mentions of the force, yet it was an action movie of the best kind.

I am very, very pleased at the way they made the beginning. The blue script was there, which made it feel more Star Wars, but there was no crawl, so it didn't feel like one of the Episodes. Perfect. Just as it's supposed to be.

I love how this film has a lot of humor and jokes. I feel like the Episodes have a lot less of this and more serious Jedi business, probably because Jedi aren't very humorous. K-2SO and Chirrut Imwe were the best jokers. That part where Saw Gerrera's men put a bag over Chirrut's head and he's like, "Are you kidding me? I'm blind!" And the audience laughed soooo hard. And that part where K-2 was like : "I'll be there for you Jyn." The audience 'Awwwww-ed' like there was some cute puppy on screen. But then he's just like, "Cassian said I had to be," and we all laughed like maniacs.

To be honest, there were some boring parts in this movie too. There were parts where I felt like, 'Was it worth it to come see it so early?' or 'Was it worth coming to see alone since my friends who aren't avid Star Wars fans like me are going to see it one the weekend?' 

Also there were parts in the trailer that didn't happen in the film. That felt kind of weird. I'd memorized the line from the trailer so to not have them in the movie was a little... disorienting. 

But that moment the credits came up, I only felt the immense satisfaction that came with a good movie.

I do feel that they could have made Galen Erso's death more emotional, I felt like I was supposed to cry and didn't. Actually, they could have made everyone's deaths more emotional. The only one I actually cried in was Jyn and Cassian's deaths. That was emotional. The way the just gave up and sat there hugging each other, watching the sunset and this huge tidal wave of death come. I was (internally) screaming "KISS, KISS, KISS, KISS!" but of course, they didn't. Movies never do what you tell them to.

I knew through the whole movie that they'd have to find a way to explain all these character's absences in A New Hope. I kind of knew how they'd do it throughout the whole Battle of Scarif, seeing Chirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus and Bohdi Rook all being killed off, but I still kinda held hope for Jyn and Cassian because... they didn't deserve to die. But then the Death Star appeared on the horizon and I sat up in my seat, clapped my hands over my mouth, and started whispering "Oh my God, oh my God, oh my god," over and over and over.

I realized they would kill off Jyn and Cassian... by blowing up Scarif.

I spent the rest of the movie that was set on Scarif tearing up and asking, "Why, why, why?".

But this is a great movie. Five Stars. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟. Absoulutely. No doubt. 10/10And I know I'm probably biased cause I think all the Star Wars movies are great but I think this movie is great. If you read this and haven't seen it yet, first, why? Second, go see it. If you've already seen it, go see it again. I'm gonna see it again. the Battle of Scarif was so hectic and had so many jump cut, I have to watch it again to make sense of it. But it was a great movie.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Movie: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 5 Stars.