the little things [l.s]

Louis made a beeline for his and Harry's apartment, not caring that he was bumping into every other person on the way there. The closer he got to the door, the less he paid attention. The hallways were musty and humid, and Louis tried his best not to touch the walls as he briskly walked ahead. When he finally reached apartment 218, he fished his keys out of his pocket and fiddled with the rusty lock.

"Harry?" he said as he knocked on the door. "Key isn't working again...would you let me in?"

He was answered with an exaggerated groan, but within seconds, a slim figure opened the door with a cheery smile. Harry pulled him into a hug, using his advantage in height to rest his head on Louis'.

"Missed you, babe." He said before giving Louis a peck on the lips.

Louis melted into his touch and allowed himself to be kissed in the hallway for a few precious moments before gently pushing Harry inside.

Louis smiled as the kiss continued, and said quietly, "I can tell."

He spotted Harry's school bag in the corner of the room and remembered to ask about Harry's day. He'd been at university all day, studying god-knows-what. Harry was never one to pin himself down to just one subject.

"Did class go okay?"

"Awful. I couldn't concentrate. I wanted to get home...I was missing you a lot."

"Yeah?" Louis said softly. He loved to hear that Harry was thinking of him, mostly because he was thinking of Harry, too. The moved from England around nine months prior, and with no family in New York, they were all that each other had. It was a weight off Louis' shoulders to know that Harry still wasn't tired of him.

"A lot. But where have you been? You never get in this late. I was basically clawing at the door waiting for you to get back. You can't just do what you did last night and expect me to live without it."

Louis blushed, but he kissed Harry again to divert his attention. He hated to show that he got flustered. Louis considered himself the rock, the leader. Harry's role was to be the lovesick little kid, and Louis didn't always like to let weak in the knees he got whenever Harry looked at him a certain way.

Harry always liked to show off his strength, so Louis wasn't surprised when Harry picked him up and carried him to the couch. They settled into their daily routine. Louis turned on the tv, and rested his head on Harry's lap. He reached an arm up to pull Harry down for another kiss.

"How was work?" Harry said. He played with Louis' hair, and arranged it just how he liked to see it.

"Pretty good. Nothing special. What was amazing, though, was the audition I went on."

"You didn't tell me you were auditioning for anything today! I would have preferred to wish you luck or something, meet you after to have dinner..."

"I know, babe, but I was really nervous about this one. If it didn't go well, it would have killed me to have to tell you about it. Also, you know we shouldn't be eating at restaurants...we need to save so we can move out of this shit-hole."

"I don't know, I think our little place is kind of cute. It's got character. We're paying for it on our own, too, which is more than a lot of people our age can say."

"I know, Haz, but don't you ever dream bigger than this? That audition really got me thinking. I really want to take every opportunity as far as I can take it, see what I can make of it, you know? Once I get even the smallest taste of something better, it's like I'm addicted to it."

"Wait...so..." a steady grin quickly crept across Harry's face.

Louis took one of Harry's hands in his and nonchalantly started playing with the other boy's fingers.