Chapter 1 - F7

February 15, 2067

I walked through the seemingly endless hallway, my boots clacking as they hit the tile. The F uniform was very standard. Boots and baggy cargo pants -both black-, a white tank, and a black jacket with enough pockets to fit an army's food supply. My hair was cut to go to the start of my neck and fell shaggily around my uncovered green eye and the black eye patch that hid my other eye from view. The brown coloration of my hair was darkened by the thick layer of grease that was common among the lower ranking who hadn't been assigned a family yet. The hallway was empty except for one other and I. The other was a boy from the R family. He was only coming here for proof of his age. Everyone knew that any I ranks and below were unable to move to an official family.

The boy pushed open the doors at the end of the hallway to reveal the main testing corridor. It was exactly as the others had said. The family test room was large and full of geometric artwork and lighting. Pentagon shaped lights hung from the roof, a shelf stuck out from the wall created using only small triangular pieces of wood, square desks were arranged to create one large dodecagon table. The whole room looked like something from when carpenters couldn't cut round edges.

I walked to the end of the room, trying hard to suppress my awe. These family assigning tests were deadly important if one wanted to get a job that paid well. The highest standing family was Section 1 group A. I would never achieve this as I was a F letter wise. F7 to be exact. I was born of a B and D making me an F. I was the seventh offspring of those two. This was actually a generally high number since you had the whole alphabet and unlimited numbers. The testers were unable to change your birth number or letter - the only occasion a letter was changed was if the person did something that changed their whole family's lives for the better - but would choose your family based on where you would fit in best.

"F7," a boy spoke, waking me from my thoughts. I looked up to see him standing before me. He had copper colored hair and matching eyes. He wore an all white suit with a golden ribbon hanging from his hair and a golden bracelet. An A class. I bowed my head. "You are of uneven lettering meaning that you cannot join a high standing family."

"Ru." I agreed formally. He nodded, acknowledging what I already knew.

"The family options for you are Section 7, Section 5, Section 4, and Section 9. If you do not fit into these categories you will be killed. Do you understand?" the man asked. I hadn't known that messing up in this could mean your death. I nodded consent and followed him to the testing room.

"Hello, F7." A girl stood by a table, a smile plastered across her face. Strangely enough, she actually appeared slightly happy. She wore a soft gray blouse and pants, identifying her as a C class. Her smooth black hair hung down to her waist, a section resting on her shoulder. Her eyes were ice blue and as hard as steel against the soft colored surroundings. "If you can come over here?" She directed me to the scanner. It was a full body scanner, not what I had anticipated. I lay down on the table anyway. She tucked a rebelling hair behind her ear and smiled sweetly. "My number is C9. Would you mind removing your clothes and changing into this?" She held up a tight black tank top and leggings.

"Of course." I agreed, C class didn't require as formal a greeting as A's. I removed my jacket and tank top but left my bra on before slipping on the black tank top. As soon as I got it on I could feel it loosen slightly. It must've accounted for my physical form and adapted to be comfortable. Pretty impressive. I changed into the leggings and they did the same. I then looked back at the woman who proceeded to nod for me to lay on the table. I did as she said.

"F7, you must remove your eyepatch for a correct analysis." I'd almost forgotten. I quickly reached up to my eye. I hesitated for a moment before removing my eyepatch. The dazed eye looked about airily, the light not quite reflecting off it right. My right eye was my flaw. Whenever there's an uneven breeding the child has an issue. Normally, it would be something with their legs, arms or fingers but for me it was my eye. I kept an eyepatch over it because I could still see out of it. As it moved on its own it made me dizzy to try to watch what was happening. That eye was the main contributor to the reason I couldn't get into a higher standing family.