Chapter 1

The explosion rocked the entire city planet. Scarif was going up in flames. We had already sent the plans for destroying the Death Star up to the awaiting ships in the rebellion. We sat in the elevator car going down. It was dark and lights from outside flashed every once in a while. He was shaky on his feet.

Earlier, when the machine that grabbed the plans broke down, we had to climb to get them. Director Orson Krennic of the Empire had discovered us while we were snatching the plans. Cassian had shouted at me to escape as the blaster fire from Krennic hit him. He had fallen down from the tall cylindrical tower onto the platform below. Later, when Krennic had his gun aimed at me, Cassian fired from the other side. He killed Krennic and saved my life. Now he was putting all of his weight on me. He leaned over towards my face and his lips touched mine. Only briefly. But it was a sensation of almost peace despite the war around us.

But it was also a feeling of success. Success that the plans were now safely in the right hands. It was because of my father, Galen...My entire team. It was their sacrifice that the Rebellion will win. We got out to see the planet being destroyed. "There...." he whispered. One of the imperial ships stood, scratched, but still fly-able. We climbed in and up the ladder towards the cockpit. "We only have a short period of time," he said. I nodded, starting up the ship. He sat in the chair besides me. The ship started up and I closed the hatch. "We could go back for the others," I suggested. But he shook his head slowly. "Jyn, they're gone. You have to accept it," he replied. I wiped teas from my eyes as we headed towards the deactivated shield. Debris from Star Destroyers fell around us and I manipulated around them.

As the planet disappeared and the Imperial ships fled, we jumped into hyperspace. Then I broke down. "Cassian...all of those people we lost. My father...." I began, crying. He put an arm around me and whispered into my ear, "But now the Rebellion has the plans. They didn't die for nothing," I dug my face into his dirt and blood-stained clothing. He smelled of the outdoors and of smoke and of fire. "K-2SO, Chirrut Imwe, Bodhi Rook, Baze Malbus. I can't believe that they're all gone," I whimpered. He stroked my hair and held me close.

Then finally I contained myself and wiped my face with my shirt. He stood up, holding me for stability. "Help me take off my jacket..." he said. He put his hand on the chair and I pulled the jacket off of him. I gasped seeing his tan-colored shirt red with blood from his wounds. "Just don't make it worse than it already is, ok?" He asked, sitting back down. "The Rebel base has a medical center, right?" I asked, sitting down at my seat and looking at him, worriedly. He nodded. "But we can't go back there," he responded. "Why not? You need medical attention," I argued. "They have the plans, they don't need us anymore. We need to run," he replied. I began to protest, but he put a finger to my lips. "I have medical supplies, it's ok," he added. "Maybe another time. But we need to get you to the base. Please, Cassian. You saved me earlier. It's only right that I save you," I replied. Then I took the controls and headed towards the Rebel Base.