Prologue- Jyn

As Cassian and I collapse onto the beach, we know it's over.  Our story is finished, and another group of Rebels will have to destroy the technological terror that my father built.  As I look over at Cassian, he has no fear.  At least, not yet.

"Your father would have been proud."

I smile, and I wrap my arms around his sides and place my head on his chest.  He embraces me back and we hold each other close.

The white light is coming, and we don't have much time.  If I was alone, I would be terrified right now.  But I'm not alone.  Cassian will be with me all the way. So I'm not afraid.

As the light approaches, I only have one regret.

I can't spend any more time with Cassian. 

In this moment, it really hits me.  I'm going to die.  I have no future, no tomorrow.  This is the end for us both.  Who knows what would happen if we survived.  The possibilities are absolutely endless.

But we don't have a choice. Our fate is decided, and it's over.

We just have to make the most of our last moments.

As the light comes nearer still, he grips me tighter, and tears roll down my face.  My kyber crystal on my necklace is pressed deep into our skin as we embrace tighter still.

And the light hits us.

And everything goes dark.

But we're not dead.