Prologue

Prologue

As a little child I never got everything; it was just me and my mother. My sisters died and from then on, I made a promise to protect my mother from the harshness of the world. My father was nowhere to be seen and I hated him for that. Mother told me not to hate anyone that God wouldn't like that but I still hated him. If only he stayed life would have been easier for me, my late sisters and my poor ailing mother.

In Nigeria things were simply complicated. In those days, a man was allowed to have more than one wives which gave room for wickedness and polygamy. My father's second wife Temisire popularly known as mommy Ayo was always fighting my mother and us for reasons that didn't even make sense, so it was no surprise when her son was a gangster and her daughters....well they were manageable.

Also, then in Nigeria, the male child was always cherished and loved more than the female. It was our believe that males were superior and deserved everything education, respect, money, even the opportunity to have more than one wives and concubines at a time; silly right? My father wasn't like that though. In those days most of the female population never went to school but my father made sure that me and my sisters; including my half-sisters had good education well before he disappeared. One faithful night the regular rituals were being performed and it was said that females were not allowed to see this ritual unless, they will be killed; that was the death of my sisters and the worst part, their bodies were not found so they were just assumed dead.

Also, people had different abilities. Sure, it was fun to use and all but then once you did something wrong, you'd be labelled as an abomination, a curse from the gods. The said person will be sent to the evil forest for the demons to finish off. If the person survived, the person will be treated as royalty. No one has survived this no one except mama. She chose to live on the outskirts of the village but people still treat her as royalty; after casting her away. She has the power to heal and read people's emotions.

A few years later missionaries came and introduced the bible and God teaching us how Jesus was the saviour of the world and as you can guess the elders weren't happy about it. They taught us to use our powers for good and encouraged us to spread the word. Many like my mother accepted the word and left the old ways while some remained in the old ways. I don't believe in God because if he truly existed, he would have protected my sisters and stopped my father from leaving home.

A threat was coming our way and a few warriors with great powers had been selected to train and fight alongside the prince and among them is me. My name is Faseyi and this is my story.