Prologue

""Kevin, I swear to all things holy, the baby is coming, and it's coming now. Take me to the damn hospital!" Laura spat harshly, contractions causing her voice to split in agony.

Kevin looked up. "What? That's impossible, you're three months-" "I know I'm three months early! But I guess this baby is an early bloomer. I can feel the head coming out of my vagina, for Christ's sake." "I'm sure it's just pregnancy pain, take some Tylenol and lay down for a few minutes," Kevin said, returning to his computer.

Laura stared daggers into Kevin. "I will fucking divorce you," she unemotionally hissed. Kevin shut his computer and stood up. "Hospital it is."

The receptionist clicked loudly at her keyboard, before looking up humorously at Kevin and Laura Fournier. "I'm sorry, sir, but my file says she's not due for another three months. I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure it's physically impossible for your wife to be-" The nurse was interrupted by Laura's eyes rolling back as she dropped to the floor.

"Laura?! Honey?!" Kevin knelt beside his wife, checking her pulse. "Oh my God, no pulse," Kevin ran his hand through his hair, "no fucking pulse!" He stood up. "Get my wife to a fucking doctor, now." The receptionist, eyes wide in panic, shakily reached for the phone and typed in a few numbers, before lights flashed and sirens wailed loudly. Doctors rushed, getting Laura on a gurney and running her into surgery. Kevin stood outside his wife's surgery room, when his mind began to wonder. He wondered how they knew to take her to surgery right away.

Many hours later, a nurse stepped out of the surgery room, confronted with a slumped over and sleeping Kevin. "Um, sir?" She lightly tapped on Kevin's shoulder and he bolted upright. "Y-yes? Sorry I was just- is my wife okay?" Kevin stammered. The nurse looked for words, but the sad yearning look on her face was enough to let Kevin know that Laura was no longer around. He struggled to find his step.

"I-I'm really sorry, sir, but, uh, she's gone. She had a stroke, followed by multiple organ failures. We couldn't save her."

Kevin started weeping. His tears stumbled to the floor, as he crumpled to the white tiled floor. After a few moments, he croaked out a few words.

"W-What about my d-d-daughter?" He stumbled out. "I'm sorry, sir?" "M-My daughter. M-My wife was p-preg-pregnant with a g-girl." Kevin looked up at the nurse, and was met with a puzzled look. She looked behind her to the operating room. "I'm sorry, but Laura Fournier was not pregnant. Uh, in fact," the nurse rustled through the papers on her clipboard, "in her medical files it says she's infertile."

"That's impossible. My wife was six months-" "I'm really sorry for your loss, sir, but the doctor needs me now. I can get you some antidepressants to help with, uh, coping, but I'm afraid that I can't do much else until the autopsy comes in. Apologies, sir," and the nurse scurried off.

Kevin looked around. Maybe he was just in shock. "Turn around and walk away, Kevin." He looked up at a man in a doctor's mask. He was holding a crying, bloody child. "Hey- wait- that's my-" "Turn around, walk away, and forget this ever happened." "Excuse me, doctor, but that is my child, and I refuse to just 'walk away' after the death of my-" Kevin tried to take a step forward, but he felt heavy. Kevin's breathing stopped, and a searing pain is his chest caused him to fall over. With that, Kevin Fournier died of a heart attack. And ever since, Raven Fournier has been an inevitable curse to humanitiy."

I crumpled up my paper and threw it at the one sided glass in front of me. I stood up and kicked the chair from behind me. "There you go, Miss Duobe. My stupid life story." I walked over to the mirror, and the intercom cracked. "Thank you, Miss Fournier. Your compliance will be taken in account in your next testing session." The intercom clicked off.

"'My next testing session'. And I'm totally sure that my half-assed sob story is going to make you and your, your team of psychoanalizing bitches cut me open less the next time the doctor is given a knife."

"Miss Fournier, I'm afraid the NSPSA will not stand for that type of language. And no, my 'psychoanalizing bitches' will not be doing anything abnormal. Remember, you're the freak here, not us. Good afternoon, Raven. Please return to your bunk." A buzz sounded and the door behind me opened.

"I know I'm the fucking freak," I mumbled under my breath, staring at my purple, slit eyes in the mirror. I pressed my fingers against the mirror and pushed, causing a web of cracks to shatter the mirror.

A guard rushed in and immediately cuffed me. "That's the third mirror in a week, Miss F," my guard, Luke sighed. "I'm waiting for them to get the hint," I said back, looking behind me at a very scared Miss Duobe being ushered out by what seemed like half an army.

Anyways, welcome to my shit life as a metahuman.

-¿-

COMING IN 2017