Chapter 1

I wake with a start. I had a nightmare. Again. I look at the clock, and it reads 5:57 am. Well I usually get up for school at 6:00, so I just go and get in the shower. I start to sing in the shower. I sing The valley song my father taught me before he died. 

I get out of the shower and put on a turquoise top that has silver stripes of jewels on it with some skinny jeans and some brown Toms. I put in some black stud earrings and do my signature braid down my back while my hair is still damp. I put on some light foundation and grab my back pack and phone. 

"Prim! We need to leave for school in 3 minutes!" I yell to my sister, Primrose. She is in 7th grade, so I drop her off on my way to the high school. I'm in 12th grade as I am 17 years old. My school is Mockingjay High School and I live in District 12 County in a small town called the Victors Village. 

I run downstairs and grab a biscuit leftover from dinner last night. 

"Prim come on we need to go! It takes 10 minutes to get there on foot. We have to go now or we'll be late!" I yell to Prim who has yet to make an appearance. She comes walking into the kitchen right when I finish my biscuit. "Here Prim." I give her a biscuit as well and tell her to eat as we walk. 

We get to Prim's school and I hug her bye, then head off to my school. Which isn't very far.

I go to my locker and grab my books and when I close my locker door I see Clove Silvers, my best friend, right in front of me and I flinch.

"Goodness Clove! Don't you make noise when you come up to someone?" I say to her.

"Nah," she says. "It ruins the fun." She grins at me.

"Funny," I say.

"See! Fun!" she replies.

"Sarcasm!" I tell her. The bell rings and we go to first period.

I plop down in the desk in the far right corner of the room by the window so I won't be called on. Or talked to. I'm not very social with people other than my close friends: Johannah Mason, Finnick Odair, Annie Cresta, Cato Sheilds, Glimmer Perry, Marvel Jackson, and, of course, Clove Silvers. Sadly none of them are in my fist period class so I'm all alone. 

I see a person walk into the classroom literally 25 seconds before the bell rings and the only seat left is next to me. I see blonde hair, then the boy turns around and I see who it is. Peeta Mellark. He has hated me for as long as he has known me, which is since kindergarden, and I don't know why. 

He sits in the empty seat and groans. "Everdeen," he says.

"Mellark," I say back. That's kinda the nicest thing we ever say to each other. I usually try to avoid him, but it's hard because he is my neighbor. And he's rich, so he makes a point of getting what he wants from his parents. 

The day goes on and when the bell rings signaling school is over, I walk out of the school and across the grass where I bump into someone.

I look up and see Gale Hawthorne gazing into my eyes as he grabs my arm rather tight. Gale always tries to get me to go out with him, but I don't like him because he is very abusive to the girls he dates.

"Hello Kitten," he says with a smile.

I yank my arm away from his grasp. "Go away, Hawthorne. And I'm not your 'kitten' or your 'baby' or anything else. Just leave. I need to go," I say.

"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow honey," he says. I'm about to yell at him when I remember I need to pick up Prim, so I just ignore him and walk quickly to the middle school.