Prelude to Hell

The patriarch of the oldest vampire clan woke with a start. His dreams were unknown to him, but a thought soared through his mind, that another of his brood had awoken to their true state of being. He removed himself from the king-sized bed that had housed him through the evening, pulling on a robe and walking to his desk near the window, frost obscuring his view of the grounds of the castle. He let go of his conscious thought as he pulled out a map and a quartz amulet. Holding the quartz, he allowed his hand to be guided to the new blood's location. He penned a letter to the child, and sent his messenger on his way.

In America, Clare Augustine Buchannan woke up to her alarm blaring Highway to Hell by AC/DC. She sat up abruptly, looking around the room, feeling as though something had changed. Shrugging off the feeling, she rose from her bed in the corner of the room, turning the alarm off as she went over to her closet. As she looked at her reflection in the mirror doors of the closet a scream rose in her throat. The person staring back couldn't have been her. Her hair that was exclusively jet black and straight when she went to sleep now contained massive streaks of white and waved like the ocean. Her eyes were no longer the brown they had been always been and were now the bright gold of the most well known clan of vampires, the Tepes. Shock coursed through her veins, the pressure in her skull became unbearable and she passed out just as her mother came to investigate the screaming.