Chapter 1

Éponine continued to run farther and farther away from her home until her lungs felt like they were going to burst. She stopped and looked to see if anyone was following her. She knew her father would send someone; he wasn't done with her yet. When she felt certain that no one as following her, she slowed to a walk and continued through the streets.  She wondered how her life had come to this, why was she chosen to continue on this path.  Abusive parents, no friends, no family who cared, living the life of a thief, and the list could go on forever. She was alone.
     However, in her solitude she was able to reflect in her life.  She had always tried to be a good girl, but life never let her.  The streets were ruthless. They didn't let up on someone for even 1 second! One minute you feel fine, then the next you're trying to find your next meal or in her case, more money to please her father.  In her distracted state, she did not see the town hands reach out from an alley to grab her, one over her mouth and the other around her waist. She began to trash and squirm under the grip trying to escape bit her captor would not let up.
.
     "Come on Ép, your dad promised I'd get ya years ago if I joined the gang. It's time I took him up on his offer!"
     As he said this she felt his hand begin to hike up her skirt and she knew what he was trying to do. Her mind was racing, trying to find a way out. She was about to lose her dignity, didn't anyone care? Then she had an idea, maybe if she made noise and draw people to the alley they would help her!
     Then she screamed, "Help, please help me!"  This plea was against her morals, she was strong and never wanted to show weakness, but she need to do this. She was about to scream again but Parnasse had caught on and slammed his lips onto hers.  She turned her head and tried to squirm away. She wished she could just be invisible and melt into the wall behind her.
     The she heard it, "are you sure it came from over here?" Asked one man. "Yeah I'm positive" said another. 
     She managed to pull away for one second and yelled "over here, help!"
     The men turned towards the alley she let out a sigh of relief.  But Parnasse was furious!  He slammed her head into the wall and whispered "this isn't over, Little Ép!" As he turned to run away. As he did the men caught up to him and Éponine saw that they were police. They turned toward Éponine and seemed disappointed. 
     "Oh, it's just a little street rat! I thought we were rescuing a real woman!" One said
     Parnasse snickered and Éponine was shocked. Did they really not care about saving a 16 year old girl from that torment? They turned to Parnasse, "who are you?"
     "I don't have to tell ya nothin!"
     "His name is Montparnasse" Éponine shouted. Montparnasse turned toward her his fury apparent. If the men had not been restraining him he would have best her to death.
     "Well, well, well, is this the very same Montparnasse that murdered and robbed all those people? They asked, already knowing the answer. "You're under arrest Monsieur." And with that they handcuffed his hands behind his back.
     As they began to lead him away, not even caring about what happened to Éponine, Parnasse shouted back, "You know this isn't over, Little Ép. I own you!" 
     The police pushed him forward and Éponine was left alone again, his last three words echoing in her mind.  She had to get away again; she couldn't live with him or her father anymore! She had to end it. And with that she took off running again, this time knowing exactly where she was going.