Prologue [Edited 1.18.2020]

"How could you do this Leelah?" I ignore the wry voice and face Noah. 

"I'm not doing anything!" I desperately yelled out to my husband. He looked at me furiously, his eyes filled with betrayal and I looked at his sister that was standing next to him.

"Mia, please believe me, he's lying!" I pointed at Jared who was sitting with crossed arms. His eyes gleamed wickedly in the warm light that flooded the hall. He was destroying me. Taking everything away from me.

She looked at the floor and didn't say anything to me. When I reached my arm out to touch her she looks at me with tears in her eyes. "I never expected this from you Leelah," she whispered, his voiced heavy with disappointment. Tears filled my eyes and I chocked back on a sob. Not her too. 

"Mia-" I reached for her again and she looked at me angrily before hitting me.

The force sent me stumbling back and I gingerly felt my cheek. Feeling it swell I looked at Jared. "WHY ARE YOU LYING TO THEM?!" I shrieked at him. He looked up at me.

"Leelah, don't lie to me now, you were trying to make a move on me. How could you not expect me to tell my best friend?"

I looked at him in disbelief. "I WASN'T!" I looked back at my husband who was staring at the ground. "Noah please believe me!" I sobbed and slide to him, kneeling and grasping his hands in mine. I looked at him in the eyes forcing him to look at me, "You have to believe me, I'm your wife, I love you. I would never lie to you."

He looked at me blankly and I waited for his reply.

"Get out."

"Noa-"

"Get out" he declared firmly. He releases his hands from my grip and I looked at him unbelievably and grasped his hands again. He shoved me away from him. "GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!" he roared at me.

"Noah-"

"Didn't I tell you? This house is meant for family. Not for outsiders. Now get out." 

"But I'm your wife-"

"You're not my wife. You cheated on me and declare yourself as my wife? Am I a joke to you?" he demanded this time holding my wrists in an agonizing grip. I tried to squirm out of his grasp but he held me tight. The hands that once touched me lovingly were holding me in rage. His eyes are blazing and bright, and tears well up, showing how much this hurts him. 

Why can't he just trust me?

"Noah, I love you, I have always loved you, please trust me."

"Everything that comes out of your mouth is a lie. Get out and never come back. You are my worst mistake Leelah. The worst thing I have ever done is falling for you." He mumbles the last part but I hear it and my heart breaks further. Gripping my arm, he pushed me towards the door.

I caught myself on the wooden door before I could fall. Sobbing, I turned around at looked at Noah, at Mia, Noah's brother, and finally, at Jared. Everyone's staring at me, so they don't see the small smirk and a wink that Jared sent my way. I shook my head and turned around. I clenched my eyes shut and lets the sobs rack my body. Walking out the front door I didn't bother with my shoes and simply walked out. 

The cold air nipped at my skin and the snow was freezing beneath my feet. I turned around to see the door shut and the lights off. I turned forward and held onto the pillar on the front steps. Sobbing, I held onto it and cried. I was losing my family for something I didn't do. After a couple minutes I walked forward and made my way down the driveway.

Unaware of how much time had passed, I soon found myself at the doorsteps of my brother's place. I was cold. I couldn't feel my feet and lips were numb. I was chattering and the strands of my hair were starting to get stiff with ice. Weakly knocking, I rested my head on the door and closed my eyes. I fell forward when the door opened. Black dots filtered my vision and I sighed when my brother's warm hand pressed against my numb cheeks. 

Liam caught me. "Whoa, Leelah, what's the matter?" he asked in concern. I mumbled a few words under my breath and slumped against him. "I'm pregnant," I murmured before going everything went black.