~ Release ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Chapter One~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where was I? More importantly, why was I alive? My first question was easily answered—I could see the outline of the city from here, and I think "here" was some sort of park. I wasn't sure what park, but I don't think that matters much. I also think maybe it's late into the night. Nobody was around, and there was no light asides from the few lampposts. The second question—well I haven't a clue why I was still alive—I suppose maybe it was whatever this thing inside of me was that had kept me alive. I walked slowly, eyeing my surroundings carefully. It looked like whatever damage I had done was repaired.

Huh, these wizards really were incredible.

God, what I'd give to be able to learn how to do it. Not that I really had anything to lose, asides from my limbs, I suppose, but I don't see why anyone would want those.

Mr. Graves had told me I was unteachable, but then turned around and said I had great power. I wish I knew which was the truth. Maybe neither. I couldn't be sure anymore.

One thing that I was sure of was how hollow I felt. All the energy that used to be burning inside me seemed almost extinct. Maybe that means that whatever was inside me before was gone. Good riddance, I hated how much it took to get it under control.

I was also sure of how cold it was. My whole body was shaking from it. This was unusual, even for December.

I wrapped a hand around the pendant I had been given (I had stuffed it my shirt so it would go unnoticed. I only remembered I was wearing it now because of how cold it felt against my skin) Then, in a sudden burst of anger, yanked it off. The chain snapped, as expected. Pain started to creep up the back of my neck. Maybe it would have been a better idea to take the necklace off, first. Oh well, too late now.

I thought about keeping the pendent, then remembered what Mr. Graves said about it.

'touch this symbol and I will know, and I will come to you.'

Shuddering, though I wasn't sure if that was from the thought of him knowing where I was or from the cold, I tossed the necklace to the side.

I spotted someone out of the corner of my eye. Nearly gasping, I started to back away, hoping to slip into the shadows unnoticed, as I usually do, but the figure saw me, and started walking towards me. When the light reached him, I recognized the man from the subway. I sighed in relief, knowing that touching the necklace hadn't made Mr. Graves appear.

"Credence?" His voice was warm. Him saying my name in his accent sounded heavenly. I racked my brain for the name of the man, still backing away from him. He must be mad at me for almost getting him killed. I don't see how he couldn't be. I could feel the energy rising in me. My back hit a wall. He noticed and stopped moving. "It's alright. I'm not going to hurt you, Credence." He set down a suit case, bound with rope, on the ground. "May I come closer?"

Finally, I gave a small nod—maybe because of his voice, it was hypnotizing—and he started to slowly walk towards me.

"You're not—mad?" I mumbled, my voice almost inaudible.

Although my question was extremely vague, he seemed to understand, "No, Credence, I'm not mad." He was close enough to touch now. I hope he couldn't hear my heart racing.

"But...t-the thing, with Mr. Graves?" I decided to stop there. I probably wasn't making any sense.

Without responding, the man walked back and grabbed his case, untying the rope from around it. Instantly, one of the latches snapped open. He was quick to snap it shut. He gestured for me to follow him. I did.

"How do you know Mr. Graves, Credence?"

"Um." I didn't know how to respond without getting too emotional. Even now I could see little bits of black fog curling around my fingertips. Not gone. I noted. At least not completely. "He—he told me he would teach me magic if I found someone he was looking for," I finally decided to say.

"Someone?"

"I think—I think he was looking for," I gestured to myself, "whatever this is."

"Obscurus. That's what it's called."

I nodded, then realized he couldn't see me. "That's what he called it, too." We were in a much darker area of the park now. He set down his case on the floor and opened it.

"This may sound a little weird," he said,  "but do you mind stepping into the case? I think It'd be better for us to talk down there."

I stared at him in disbelief.

"Yeah, I guess that does sound a little weird." He chuckled, placing one foot in the case, and it actually went in! I continued staring in complete awe as he lowered his entire body into the small case. Before it could fully engulf him, he said, "I guess it looks a little weird, too." And then he was gone. I looked down into the magical case, but there was no sign of the man. It just looked like a bottomless pit of sorts.

He was right, it was weird. But I followed him anyway. I couldn't help myself; I was curious of what was inside, as well as how it worked.

I tried to lower myself in as slowly as possible, as to not slip and hurt myself. However, that proved worthless, as I still did end up slipping towards the bottom.

"Careful," the man warned, as if saying that after the fact was going to do any good. "You alright?"

I nodded, taking a long look at my new surroundings. We were inside a shed. The door was open, revealing what seemed to be like a desert area, and a few creatures I've never seen or heard of before. Inside the shed was a small desk, and I noticed a picture frame lied face down on the surface.

"How is this possible?" I hadn't meant to say that out loud.

"A lot of work," He smiled, clearly proud of his work, "and a bit of magic. You can have a seat." Since there were no actual seats, I slowly lowered myself down on a box, hoping it wouldn't break and make a mess. Fortunately, it didn't.

"Newt," I said suddenly. He stared at me, and I realized he was probably expected me to say something else. "That's your name, right? Newt?"

He grinned. "Yeah; Newt Scamander."

"Thank you for taking me down here." Another thing I hadn't meant to say. I was like a faucet, or like my obscurus or whatever it was called, once I started talking it got hard to control, "it's really quite amazing down here."

This is so long that I had to split it into two chapters (I'm not 100% done with the second one, though.)

I just really love Credence and want the best for him.

I also feel like he would get like super excited over Newt's suitcase and his creatures despite his upbringing because like ??? I don't see why he wouldn't; it's really cool and I'm sure Credence would think the same.

Btw these chapter names are like all going to be song titles (because I'm not creative at all) and I'll put the song in the media thing. Though most of the time the song won't relate to the chapter too much.

Also I know only 1/5 of the fantastic beasts movies have come out but the next one isn't coming out until 2018 and then 2020 and so on and I really don't want to wait like eight years to write this fanfic.

Btw the cover might change in the next couple of days because I can probably do better on it lets be real.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this first chapter! Like I said I love Credence so this was fun to write! Thanks for reading!

~All_The_Single_Hades ❤️