SWANQUEEN

My knuckles hit the door sending long echoes through the house. A short plain black dress with thin black straps crossing my back hung to just above my knees. I had a teddy bear rested in my elbow and I held flowers in my free hand. The door slowly opened and Regina stuck her face out to see who it was. Her hair was a mess and she had obviously been crying. A fake smile crept across my face "Hey". She then opened the big door gesturing for me to come in.

The footsteps of my boots were loud against the dead silence. I looked up at Regina who seemed to be lost in her own thoughts. "How is he?". She snapped back and looked blankly at me. "Not much better. Would you like to see him?" I smiled gratefully at her "that would be great, thank you."

I followed her slowly up the long swirling flight of stairs up to the tall white door with 'HENRY' written in colourful wood blocks on it. Her quivering fingers gripped tight against the handle, turning it and pushing the door open. I peered in the room with blue painted walls and my eyes rest on Henry asleep in bed with the covers tucked up under his chin.

Reaching over him, my lips lightly pressed against his forehead. Listening to his steady breath calmed the nerves that were controlling me. Almost silent I managed "I love you Henry" Feeling Regina looking at me with a heartbroken look I slowly turned to face her. Not wanting Henry to hear anything she had to say I started towards the door. "How about we take this elsewhere?"

Her heels clicked the floor of the hallway when we went outside. Tugging on the door, closing it behind us I followed her to her room. Surprised at first at how big it was I took in the details of the tidy room. Everything was white, from the shining walls to the rounded ends of the bedposts. Opposite the door stood a dresser which was a light grey, matching the sheets of the queen sized bed.

Feeling her stare bare into my back I glanced over my shoulder. My gaze immediately met her and I faced my body towards her. Always, there was an uncomfortable vibe between us. "Regina, what is it you want from me?" Accidentally, a hint of desperation in my voice. "Emma, I want something from you."

"If you want me to stop seeing Henry, it's not going to happen" sternly replying to her. She always wanted Henry all to herself but now that I was here, that wasn't going to happen. He was just as much my kid as hers, I had given birth to him for fuck sake! "No, that isn't it." For a fraction of a second I thought I saw a shyness in her eyes. Why was Regina dragging this on? "What is it then?"

Watching her slide her hand out of her pocket she pulled out a small black phone. It snapped open when she pushed her finger vertically against the end. She handed it to me, our hands brushing when she placed it carefully into my palm. Attentively watching the screen, a video playing. It was on a dark street, the only source of light from the porch on Emma's old house.

Two figures stood under the light and I recognized the day that it was taken on. It was 13 years ago, when I was only 15. I was with Oakley, the first person I was out to- in fact, the only person. We had gone out to a movie and come home to my place. Actually we had been out a couple times but more at my place, since I wasn't out yet. I was living alone because I had no parents or family to live with.

When we were standing together outside that night, I had thought we were alone. Oakley was beautiful and I loved her. Not like a crush-I loved her for real. Her body was pressed against mine and her bright blue eyes stared deep into mine. Carefully she slipped her hands onto my hips pulling me into her. She slowly leaned into my lips kissing me lightly. I still remember the butterflies in my chest every time she kissed me.

But I was young and confused and I pulled away from her. I looked down at my feet but then looked up at her. Reaching to her, I brushed the natural light brown hair off her face. Shifting my hand to the back of her head I pulled her back in. Our bodies were molded together and you couldn't pull us apart if you tried. My face met hers and our lips moved in sync as we stood under the light. We stood for a long time just staring into each other eyes, our faces inches apart. She leaned to my ear and whispered something into my ear, but on the small screen of the phone you couldn't tell what she said.