Percy Jackson and The Trapped Souls

Author's Note

Hello and welcome to Percy Jackson and The Trapped Souls! 

This is the second book in The Chaos Chronicles and therefore the sequel to Percy Jackson, The Missing Hero. In the way of all sequels, this will make no sense if you haven't read the previous book in the series, so if you've accidentally skipped ahead, you can find its predecessor via the search function, or by heading over to my profile and finding it there.

If you've made it from the beginning of The Missing Hero to here, thank you for sticking with me. You're in the right place!

A little reminder for some folks; on the 21st of February 2020, I removed the original editions of Percy Jackson, The Missing Hero and Percy Jackson and The Trapped Souls in order to edit and overhaul them both since the former was finished before The Heroes of Olympus series was complete! Edits to the plot-line of TMH left the original draft of TTS unusable, so I'm following the same pattern of rewriting and reuploading.

If you want to find more of my content, there are a number of one-shots that you can find on my profile that are linked into my Chaos 'verse and there will be some original content arriving at some point too.

Disclaimer: this is a work of fanfiction. The characters and the world in which they belong are all attributed to Rick Riordan, the author of Percy Jackson and the Olympians and the series that follow.

Once again, I would like to thank my best friend, @-concrete-rose- , who is yet to run away screaming - even 200,000+ words later. She hasn't managed to escape my clutches yet, and has agreed, once more, to be my delightful test-reader and editor.

Now, onto the story itself! A short recap will follow before we dive properly into the events of Book Two of the Chaos Chronicles, Percy Jackson and The Trapped Souls.

I just want to thank you all for reading and to also take the opportunity to thank all of you who vote and comment. Those of you who also write will know that both are part of the life-blood of an author, and I cherish each and every one dearly.

Thanks again, E.

RECAP OF EVENTS

After Chaos' actions take the majority of the Olympian Council out of the battle against Gaia's forces, Aether and Percy enlist the aid of Nico and Thalia. They create a contingency plan that they only want to use as a last resort. In the face of the second wave, they are swift to realise, however, that it is only a matter of time before they are overwhelmed and their planned secret weapon may not even be enough.

They decide to act then and there, retreating within the borders of Camp Half-Blood in order to avoid being stopped by monster and ally alike.

Partway through using the incantation, they find themselves with their own unexpected ally; with Nathan joining in to offer his strength, even after being warned that death could be imminent.

The incantation of -

Children of the Ancient Gods,

Join hands together to break all odds,

One born from the Underworld, a spawn of the sea,

A child of lightning shall make three,

Use Primordial power to unite thee.

Draw upon the essence of Earth and Sky,

Close thy eyes when the end is nigh.

Intertwined hero's breath,

Will save the world from certain death.

- leaves Aether, Percy, Nico, and Thalia unconscious; Nathan only mustering the energy to fall through into the Labyrinth before joining them in Hypnos' Realm because he joined the spell later than the rest, also motivated by fear of retribution if he was found beside the others. 

The spell wipes out Gaia's forces in their entirety, scattering ashes in the wind and hopefully ensuring that the attempt to overthrow Olympus was quashed completely.

When their allies and the Olympian Council - both drawn by the surge of power - happen upon their unconscious forms, they fear for a moment that Thanatos has taken them below until they realise that their chests are still moving, though they are extremely weak.

In the Labyrinth, Nathan stumbles across the Fates. As they sever the yarn of the sweater that they were knitting, they refuse to answer Nathan's questions about Octavian and his father and have him choose between the two. Despite his heart telling him to ask about his father, he asks about Octavian and they inform him that his life was not lost.

Apollo starts to buckle under pressure, weighed down by the assumptions of the others that he would hold answers to the onslaught of questions they have. Despite his blossoming relationship with a certain son of the sea, he had no forewarning.

And when Aether is the first to open a pair of eyes that do not actually belong to him, more questions arise.

AND THAT'S WHAT YOU MISSED ON GLEE

ONTO CHAPTER ONE: TIME DOES NOT HEAL ALL WOUNDS.