Chapter 1

I wrung my hands together, squeezed them and felt the sweat seeping out of my palms. To be honest, having this reaction when you're waiting for your boyfriend-who-you-want- to-break-up-with was pathetic and ridiculous. I was waiting in the small, quaint café downtown, waiting for the said boyfriend to show his face when he should've been here thirty freakin' minutes ago!

Why couldn't Jake just waltz right through the door right now so we could get this over with? The longer I wait, the more I think, the more I reconsider, the more I get anxious!

The waiter came with my ordered drink, strawberry kiwi smoothie. The cool sweetness and freshness ran down my throat and I let out a contented sigh after the first sip. It calmed me down a bit, just for a minute.

Then my phone buzzed in my pocket. I silently prayed that it was a text from Jake saying that either he's here or will be here soon.

It's from Jake, alright, but not what I was hoping for. As I read it, I felt different emotions swirl in me. It said: "I am extremely sorry about this but an emergency just came up and I can't make it. But I have to tell you this anyway because I know what you want to talk about. You're right, there hasn't been anything between us lately and I don't feel it anymore. You're not the right girl after all. It's best if we break up. I had great times with you but now it's over. Bye, Avery."

I dropped my jaw, rereading again and again this short paragraph in front on me. I gripped the fancy glass cup so hard it might break under my hand. I couldn't believe it, did Jake seriously just break up with me over text? Granted, it was a lot longer than your typical break up text. But still...it's a break up text...I just got dumped over text!

More furious than sad over this, I slapped a five dollar bill down and stalked right out of the café, ignoring the weird glances people were giving me. I blindly made my way through downtown to get back to my apartment, a good mile route that I've memorized a long time ago.

I stuffed my phone deep in my coat pocket, clenching my fists. If my phone wasn't so dear to me, I would've thrown it against a brick building then stomped all over it until it was nothing more than a bundle of metal and wire, all because it contained that very text message.

I inhaled a huge breath of fresh air and it smelled like there would rain soon. Sure enough, the once sunny afternoon was beginning to darken with rainclouds very quickly. I'd have to speed walk home, hopefully using that much energy would calm my nerves. I did not want to be caught out in the middle of a cold late March rain.

I know I shouldn't be too upset over this since I wanted to break up with him anyway. But of course breaking up over text was going to make any nice person outraged, and this wasn't even the main reason I wanted to pound him in the face! I found his action extremely cowardly, something that I never thought he would do.

When I first met Jake in the beginning of this junior year of college, it wasn't just his golden blonde hair and sparkling ocean eyes that captivated me. We started talking and I took an instant liking to his sweet, funny personality. He was a complete gentlemen, something you don't find often nowadays. After we started dating, I truly thought that I had found my prince charming.

But let me tell all you kids something: when people say "you're too young to love", they really mean, you're too young to love. Apparently at the age of twenty, I was still very naive and fell head over heels too easily for what appeared to be prince charming. You may like someone and be in a relationship with them, but it's not until you're deep into the relationship when your significant other shows their true colors. That is when you decide whether you're in love or not.

Underneath his shining knight armor, Jake was really an inconsiderate asshole. Now, Jake wasn't abusive or anything if that's what you were thinking. But it's like what he said in the text, he didn't feel it anymore and neither did I. Six months into the relationship, I started noticing how he didn't want to hang out much and sometimes our conversations were a little strained.